Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Predator 90 rear wheel wobble

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator 90 rear wheel wobble

I just purchased my son a 2006 predator 90, and noticed the rear wheels wobble. I can shake them side to side by hand with the machine on the ground. Im new to this bike so i dont know for sure but im assuming this isnt normal. ive googled it for hours and cant seem to find where anyone else has had this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Oh and thank you for letting me join the forum and pick your brains.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's not a hub problem or axle problem, then probably worn rear housing bearings and seals. You don't have to pay high prices for these bearings if you can get the universal off them and check your local auto supply/bearing house or even online. Same for the seals. Items#6,7. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
If you need a manual here's a cheap 5 buck pdf service manual that can help.For a Sporstman 90,but all are the same,just different plastics.2006 Polaris Sportsman 90 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 03-20-2016, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks. I was hoping you would see this post. from the reading i have done it seems you know these quads. I put the bike on stands and it seems the hub is loose to the axle. If i tighten the castle nut all the way down it is better, however it is way past where the cotter pin would keep the castle nut from backing off. Any ideas there? I would rather someone with experience tell me where to start than A: take it to a shop, B: start buying parts un-necessarily. I just bought this bike last night and have until 4/12 to make it right for my little ones birthday.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer

Another question if i may. I rode the bike around before i bought it (didnt notice the wheel wobble until i got home but oh well), runs great however up until about 1/8 to a 1/4 throttle it just revs up and doesnt move. After 1/4 ish throttle it catches and takes off. I wasnt expecting it and it chirped the tires. I have to admit i havent pulled the plug or taken the carb off to check it yet since little man is here this weekend but will tomorrow while he is in school. Anything else you can think of that i would need to check or is this normal? I know on the four strokes i have (had) that would not be normal. Two strokes= whole new ball game for me so i apologize if these are stupid questions.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

On the hub you might try to add another washer and see if you can tighten the hub nut up enough and still be able to line up the cotter key. The hesitation could be carb related or worn belt or clutches. Easiest to check the carb first.Just take it off and blow out the carb jets and see if it helps. Again the manual can help you on a lot of maintenance/repairs.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer

I have the owners manual and read through it a couple times. Is the repair manual worth buying? I know on my harley it had been a life saver.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Most machines manuals are a life save,plus for 5 bucks can't beat it..

Old 03-20-2016, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

Sure is cheaper than the harley manual. Lol. Any way to tell if its the axle or hub? the hub definately has play on the axle. Ill download the manual here in a bit when the computer finishes updating.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hub splines are softer than axle splines. That's why I mentioned trying to add another washer behind the hub nut to see if it helps snug the hub up better..If hub splines are really worn,then replacing them might be best.Not cheap,about 50 bucks each from here..Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus you can check Partzilla,etc.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you for letting me pick your brain, until inget to download the manual youre my only hope lol. With the bike on or off thengrpund the splines seem good (rotating wheel front to back on machine). The wherl wobbles side to side almost like the hub is too big for the axle. Should i try putting a washer inboard of the hub so that the cotter pin still lines up witg the axle key? And is the washer thats there supposed to be on the outboard side of the rim?

Quick Reply: Predator 90 rear wheel wobble