Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2004 sportsman 500 charging issue

Old 03-22-2016, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 sportsman 500 charging issue

I'm working on my buddies 2004 sportsman 500. It won't charge. I can hook it up to my KQ and it will jump off no problem and run fine hooked up. When I disconnect the jumper cables it will die in about 30 seconds. I ohmed the 3 yellow wires on the stator and they ohmed all around 27-28ish I did the 1-2 1-3 2-3 combo on the yollow wires. I believe it shouldn't have that much resistance so I'm thinking the stator is shot. The battery voltage drops like a rock as soon as i disconnect the jumper cables from my kq. All the connections look good.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the battery is dead , have you charged it up ?
Your stator seems to read high resistance between phases but they all read the same { good } , are you sure you weren't reading .27 ohms ?
if you have no grounds on any of the yellow wires { you did check for grounds ? } I would suspect the voltage regulator is bad , a lot easier and cheaper to try .

Old 03-22-2016, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

The battery is dead now since it's not getting charged. It's a brand new battery that was charged before install. Wouldn't it still run fine with a dead battery if jumped off?

Old 03-22-2016, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

No , it wouldn't run if the charging system isn't working and the battery is depleted.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Yooper265
No , it wouldn't run if the charging system isn't working and the battery is depleted.
Yeah, definitely an issue with the charging system. When hooked to my KQ it shows around 12.5 volts. And dies quickly when unhooked. That has me thinking the stator. I would think if its the regulator it would over charge wouldn't it? I went over the grounds and they seem good. I'll double check connections though.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:14 AM
Pro Rider

Regulator can fail either way , over or under charging .

Old 03-23-2016, 07:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Connect an ac ammeter between the yellow and yellow/red. Pull start the atv. Manual shows at an idle should show around 7 amps.Resistance between the yellow stator wires should be around 0.13 between each other. Also do you have the regulator or ecm model? If it's the ecm model,they can cause all sorts of problems. Plus the 2004 ecm models were under the recall.http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2008/...o-Fire-Hazard/

Attached Thumbnails 2004 sportsman 500 charging issue-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 03-23-2016, 10:30 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Connect an ac ammeter between the yellow and yellow/red. Pull start the atv. Manual shows at an idle should show around 7 amps.Resistance between the yellow stator wires should be around 0.13 between each other. Also do you have the regulator or ecm model? If it's the ecm model,they can cause all sorts of problems. Plus the 2004 ecm models were under the recall.Polaris Industries Expands Recall of ATVs Due to Fire Hazard | CPSC.gov
See that's where I'm getting confused, it has the ecu like the picture you attached, but also right under the headlight pod it looks to have a regulator. I'll get a picture of it when I get a chance and post it up.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

If this { or very similar } is what you have under the headlight pod it's the voltage regulator .

Polaris Regulator Rectifier LR 390 120 PN 4010657 ATV | eBay

Old 03-23-2016, 03:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkdude
See that's where I'm getting confused, it has the ecu like the picture you attached, but also right under the headlight pod it looks to have a regulator. I'll get a picture of it when I get a chance and post it up.
You're probably confusing the CDI with an ECM module that takes the place of a regulator/rectifier on some of the 2004 models. Look at the link that Yooper265 posted on a regulator. If you have the regulator equipped model,it will be located down close to the radiator. Most of the time it's a regulator problem on charging,not stators.Plus connectors are bad on these regulators about coming loose from vibration.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 sportsman 500 charging issue