Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

99 Polaris magnum 500

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Polaris magnum 500

I am looking at converting my engine over to a fuel injection. I have a factory service manual. The mfg. of Efi system is asking me what the Max rpms are. All I can find in the book is oil pressure at 5500 rpm's is. Can this really be the max? Now this machine turns both axles weather or not I am 4x4 mode. I would think that it would turn less than a chain driven. Also does this have a rev limiter built in anywhere?

Old 03-31-2016, 01:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve636
I am looking at converting my engine over to a fuel injection. I have a factory service manual. The mfg. of Efi system is asking me what the Max rpms are. All I can find in the book is oil pressure at 5500 rpm's is. Can this really be the max? Now this machine turns both axles weather or not I am 4x4 mode. I would think that it would turn less than a chain driven. Also does this have a rev limiter built in anywhere?
Forget about the change over to an efi. Cost would be prohibitive on this older model. Better off selling the one you have and "upgrading" so to speak to an efi model,but imo the carb models have less problems and easier to work on than efi. Front drive shafts will turn regardless of whether it's in awd or 2 wheel drive.The hubs control when the awd kicks in and out depending upon how much traction the rear tires have.When the rear tires slip the front drive shafts turn faster than the front wheels and the hubs lock in. Once the rear wheels regain traction,the front drive shafts and wheels start traveling at the same speed then the awd kicks out into 2 wheel drive again. The limiter is incorporated into the speedometer on this model. Doesn't have a separate limiter.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Magnum 500

Okay, I can see where your coming from. For the atv's condition and what I use it for around the property I am not going to part it out or anything. My big problem is that the idiot I bought it from never shut the fuel off and burn the gas out of the carburetor. I have disassembled and cleaned, soaked in mineral spirits, blown out passage ways and especially in the winter it still gives me problems. Is there a new after market carb I could by? Or what parts on it should I replace. This has been frustrating.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pull the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine over. If the fuel pump is ok there should be a steady or pulsing stream of fuel. If fuel is getting to the carb,don't just clean one,rebuild it. Magnum 500 used the same carb as the Sportsman 500. Good kits are available.Polaris Sportsman 500 Carburetor Repair Kit Fits 1999 2000 Carb Shindy 03 416 | eBay

Old 03-31-2016, 10:34 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, I can see where your coming from. For the atv's condition and what I use it for around the property I am not going to part it out or anything. My big problem is that the idiot I bought it from never shut the fuel off and burn the gas out of the carburetor. I have disassembled and cleaned, soaked in mineral spirits, blown out passage ways and especially in the winter it still gives me problems. Is there a new after market carb I could by? Or what parts on it should I replace. This has been frustrating.
I've never shut the fuel off and burned the gas out of the carburetor on any of my quads and never had a problem. No dripping or anything. I just put Sta-Bil in when I wanted to store it and ran it for 5 minutes.

ETA: I did have to turn up the idle in winter and turn it back down after winter was over.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Magnum 500

Old 03-31-2016, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't think stable was even thought of and the varnishing from the fuel sitting was so bad it literally plugged passage ways. Also I guess when your talking storing it. Time wise how long would you let it sit for.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's what pays to have people in their trade to help others. Because I did look on their website and they said nothing was available. If you say that part numbers the one them I am ordering now. Thank you

Old 04-01-2016, 08:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

That's what pays to have people in their trade to help others. Because I did look on their website and they said nothing was available. If you say that part numbers the one them I am ordering now. Thank you
Just check Your main jet against the one in the Sportsman kit. That would be the major difference if any at all. Problem is almost no one make a kit for the Magnum 500 although it's the same engine and same carb (BST34) used on the 99 Sportsman 500.One place does have some small parts at ridiculous prices.You get the needle and seat,jets and gasket for 44 bucks.100 Mikuni Carburetor Carb Rebuild Repair Kit for Polaris 1999 Magnum 500 | eBay You actually can get more parts by ordering the Sportsman 500 kit that uses the same needle and seat,gaskets,etc. for 33 bucks Polaris Sportsman 500 Carburetor Repair Kit Fits 1999 2000 Carb Shindy 03 416 | eBay If the main or pilot jet is different,then just clean and use your old ones. Still cheaper to get the 500 kit.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ordered it, 26 on Amazon w/ free ship

Quick Reply: 99 Polaris magnum 500