Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

thermal switch 2000 425 Polaris

Old 04-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermal switch 2000 425 Polaris

I have been trying to replace a thermal switch in the bottom or radiator on my 425; the problem is , how do you remove the fan shroud to access where the thing screws in?

Old 04-02-2016, 01:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

What I say may not be kosher so to speak,but since the radiator tabs sit on the shroud and you have to remove the blame radiator to get the shroud off,you can cut the small section of plastic that covers the sensor. I've done this many times and so have others.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse If you haven't bought the sensor yet,a Wells sw526 sensor from any auto store can work. All you have to do is cut the oem connector and reuse it. Doesn't matter what model as most used the same type sensor.

Attached Thumbnails thermal switch 2000 425 Polaris-sw526_1.jpg  
Old 04-02-2016, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you so much for that info!! I was also going to replace the fan/motor assembly since I was having the whole front of the wheeler apart- soooo, if I figure out how to take the radiator off, the fan/shroud thing out, I should be in good shape and no more antifreeze spewing from the overflow bottle breather hole?!

Old 04-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The sensor just completes the ground path for the fan to kick on. You can always jump 12 volts to the fan connector to see if it works.If the fan needs replacing you can get then here rather than paying over 200 bucks for an oem.https://webstore.spalusa.com/en-us/p...rcycleatv.aspx Main thing is after you replace the sensor,fan motor if needed,is to raise the front end and leave the radiator cap off. Allow the fan to kick on and off several times to purge any trapped air pockets from the cooling system.Top off the radiator and recovery bottle,replace the cap then you shouldn't have any problems with over heating and spewing out coolant from the recovery bottle.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

OH... Thank you SO much for all this information!!! This is just so great, I am going to print this information and get down to work; as soon as it warms up to above freezing outside.
I am so glad to have found this forum and the wealth of information and help that is to have been found here.
I do have on last question- what is the difference between the AA and AB designators on the models of the 425? and does it make a difference when getting parts?
Thank you!

Old 04-03-2016, 09:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Main difference between the AA and AB models is the body colors,decals,etc. Major parts are the same. Here's an example from the glossary of a 2000 Sportsman 500 service manual.

(AA) refers to Model #A00CH50AA and (AF) refers to Model #A00CH50AF, Olive Green. (AB) refers to Model
#A00CH50AB and (AH) refers to Model #A00CH50AH, Porsche Red. (AC) refers to Model #A00CH50AC and (AJ) refers
to Model #A00CH50AJ, Camo. (AE) refers to Model #A00CH50AE and (AK) refers to Model #A00CH50AK, Medium Yellow.
(EB) Refers To Model #A00CH50EB, Red.

Confusing at times,yes..

Old 04-03-2016, 10:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh my Goodness.... REALLY, just something else to keep the general, everyday folks confused!! Like me!
You are a wealth of information and I am very glad for your sharing of knowledge.
Thank you so much!
Would you know where I can find a dipstick for my 2000 425?

Old 04-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hard to find this dip stick for your 2000 Expedition 425. None are listed on ebay.Most place show NLA but does show one on amazon,but not cheap.
Amazon.com: Polaris OEM ATM Clutch Plug: Automotive Amazon.com: Polaris OEM ATM Clutch Plug: Automotive
You could try to find a blank plug at an auto supply that would work. With 5.5 quarts of oil this machine holds it shouldn't be a problem on not being able to correctly check the level at all times.. The oem part# is 3086259 for reference. You might even check a dealer to see if possibly they have or can locate NOS items like this..

Old 04-03-2016, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

The local dealer shows a zero bal., cannot order; go figure. The reason is that the plastic threads had been crossed in one section and I do not want to run the risk of getting water in the engine; yes, I am a bit 'over protective' but I use this wheeler every day- it is my transportation off my mountain to get to my mailbox and into town and medical appts.; I am a disabled Army Veteran and have mobility issues.
With the part number you provided I will search the link you have so gracefully provided.
Thank you, again! You are a wealth of information!

Old 04-03-2016, 10:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: thermal switch 2000 425 Polaris