Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Xpedition 425 gas in oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xpedition 425 gas in oil ?

I was riding my polaris 425 xpedition and after about a mile it started running like crap. barely had any power and had a bit of white smoke in the exhaust. I returned home and check the oil and found that it was way over full and had a gas smell to it. I just change the oil a week ago and rode a few times since then. I'm thinking maybe a blown head gasket is the only way gas can get into the oil ? I checked the antifreeze and everything looked normal. Thanks for any advice.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Think maybe it's time to try a carb kit first. Worn needle and seat,float level off can cause excess fuel to contaminate the oil.100 Mikuni Carburetor Carb Rebuild Repair Kit for Polaris 2000 Expedition 425 | eBay If you need help on this carb,here's a pdf on Polaris carbs and your model(BST34) from the manual.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U2gGlaHJWSIlbA Plus depending on how much the oil is contaminated,may be wise to change oil again even though it's expensive for 5.5 quarts of oil,but cheaper than damaging an engine.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks, I will check the carburetor and maybe fuel pump to see if I see any problems.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake1012
Ok thanks, I will check the carburetor and maybe fuel pump to see if I see any problems.
It's definitely got problems as it's got gas in the oil.. The main reason for it to get there is if the needle and seat are worn/float level is off or sticking. My two cents,it doesn't make sense in pulling a carb just to check things out,sticking it back on and still possibly have problems.. Go ahead and put a kit in and that will at least eliminate the carb as a problem..