Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2004 Sportsman 600 Electric issues

Old 06-13-2016, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Sportsman 600 Electric issues

Searched the forums for a similar issue as mine but didn't find what I was looking for.

Issues:
- Battery will drain over the course of about 3 or 4 hrs of use, not constant use but starting up and shutting down 5 or 6 times. Battery will flash and it will barely turn over. Run it about .25 miles and the battery stops flashing but still starts hard.

- I will be driving and all of a sudden the machine stops running. The Display is dead and I have nothing. Wait a few minutes and it may or may not come back to life.

What I have replaced:
- Starter: original one was bad, checked it looking for a short and found that it was close to dead.

- Battery: original battery wouldn't take a charge.

- Ignition switch - during trouble shooting it made sense to rule it out at the time.

Starter relay Solenoid - Old one had a short when the ohm meter was put across it.

Any other ideas?

Old 06-13-2016, 12:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Al depends on the build date of your 600.. Usually it's a regulator that can cause problems if it's not charging 14 volts back to the battery at an idle. Plus if the battery has been drained down enough over a period of time it may have a dead cell and may need to be replaced also. A load test on the battery can tell if it's still ok or not. The most important thing again is the build date. If you have an earlier model,then it may need the Kokusan electronics update that includes the ignition system along with a newer style regulator. If you already have the later build date,then probably just need the regulator. Your 17 digit vin # on the lower left frame behind the a-arm will tell. Just call it in to any dealer. OR you can pop the front panel and see if you have a separate cdi and coil (Kokusan) or a combo cdi/coil pack that has Ducati on it. item #23 Has 3 different regulators!
Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus there is a circuit breaker in a sealed pouch that can cause problems if it gets worn or corroded. Item #2. Locate up from the solenoid on the frame..

Old 06-13-2016, 01:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We checked the voltage back and are getting 14 volts to the battery so i know it is getting charged, just getting discharged quicker. Will check out under the front cover and teh VIN when I get home to get some more data.

Thanks for the help!