Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2012 Sportsman 400 Belt / Clutch Issue

Old 08-23-2016, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Sportsman 400 Belt / Clutch Issue

2012 SP 400 with only 450 miles on it. I’m adirt bike guy, a newbie to quads.
It started having trouble going up small hills andthen 10 minutes later had a max speed on the flat at 25mph @ 5000 rpm or so.
This ATV was baby’d, never swamped; inside the coverwas clean. I blew out the clutch with compressed air, a tiny (tiny) shot ofWD40 on the shaft while running, put a new belt on but that didn’t help at all.
I searched the forum and looks like I’ll haveto replace the buttons on the secondary clutch. This is my first time workingwith a CVT & I don’t know a whole lot about them.
A few Q’s: Should I replace anything else whileI’m in there, such as parts on the primary clutch? But my big reason for thispost is that when I rev the engine,
the primary shaft moves from side to side,about 3/16 or maybe even a little bit more (measuring it from the end, the hexbolt). Is this normal or excessive? I searched the forum but couldn’t findanything.
You tube has some vids of the shaft turning, butshakey camera work makes it hard to tell if its moving as much as mine is. Man,I hope this isn’t an internal engine problem.
Last question. You tube vids show the secondaryclutch not spinning at idle, or barley spinning at all. Mine spins a good bit. Shouldit spin at idle or not?
Thankyou in advance for all of your responses.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

A little clutch flexing side to side is normal because of the rubber engine mounts. If excessive the clutch plain bearing can be worn. Check the ramp towers on the front clutch for any deep grooving where the six guide buttons ride. If the buttons are worn have them replaced or you can do it yourself but the clutch has to be removed and separated. Main things that wears on the rear clutch on non ebs systems is the three ramp buttons. The clutch has a snap ring that hold the two sheaths together and a spring that has to be prewound. If this machine is new to you nothing better than a good service manual that shows you what tools are needed and procedures for repairing the clutches.2012 Polaris Sportsman 400 H.O. Service Manual PDF Download And yes non ebs rear clutches can spin as opposed to ebs clutches where most times the rear clutch is stationary if operating correctly.