Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Growling Noise in Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old Polaris Tech,

Thank you for your quick reply. I re-inspected the transmission closely again, and the noise may be coming from the hidden bearing underneath the "output gear". That's the 2nd largest gear in the trans with 4 holes in it to give you access to the 4 T27 torx bolts holding it in place. The gear and shaft are not really loose or anything, but the noise appears to be coming from that area. Is the bearing underneath this gear known for going bad often? It can't really inspect this particular bearing without totally disassembling the front half of the transmission. I can and will do it if this bearing is known for going bad often. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Thank you

Old 12-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I never had to replace this bearing,but possible it may need to be replaced. I also check the teeth on the pinion shaft behind this bearing. If chipped or worn,this may be the source of the noise.

Attached Thumbnails Growling Noise in Transmission-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 12-21-2017, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old Polaris Tech,

Can you tell me how to remove the part in your picture above so I can inspect that bearing between the gear and pinion? I got the 4 T27 torx bolts out, but I can't get that shaft/gear assembly free from the transmission to inspect that hidden bearing. I didn't want to pry and pull too hard for fear of breaking something. Thank you again for your help. Very much appreciated.

Thank you

Old 12-21-2017, 05:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Since I've never had to remove the plate and bearings holding this shaft in(like I mentioned earlier) I have removed the snorkel tube and it's shaft to replace it because a customer never greased the prop shaft and stripped out the splines on it. Going by the manual,it shows removing the snorkel tube and its shaft because it has the mating gear that aligns with the short shaft I pictured. Then it shows the short shaft after that and what to check for(doesn't show how to pull it) but a little heat from a torch around that side of the case and it should pop out. Use some heavy gloves. If you don't have the manual,it shows how to mark the snorkel tube before you pull it.Takes a big wrench,but I used a pipe wrench.5 bucks on the manual.2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 12-22-2017, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old Polaris Tech,

Thank you again for your help. I finally got the trans completely dissembled. In all, I found 5 lumpy bearings inside the trans (and both rear hub bearings). I will replace all 7 hope that solves the growling problem. I have one more question. One of the lumpy bearings is the one on the snorkel tube where it exits the trans. I got the snorkel tube assembly out of the trans, but can't figure our how to separate the shaft from the little housing so I can get access to that bearing. I tried heat on the housing, and pounding on the shaft (didn't work). Do you have any suggestion(s) on how to separate the snorkel tube from the little housing?

Thank you

Old 12-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old Polaris Tech,

Sorry, I think I miss-spoke in my last question above. I should have said "prop shaft" rather than "snorkel tube". I'm trying to get the bearing off the prop shaft (the bearing that exits the trans). My problem is I can't get that little housing separated from the prop shaft so I can get access to the bearing inside of it. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you

Old 12-22-2017, 04:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Down load the manual as you have several circlips,etc to remove.The manual goes in to detail on the snorkel and shaft.Plus you have to have a press as the manual shows.
"34. To remove the snorkel shaft from the snorkel
tube, use a press to press the snorkel shaft out."

Old 12-22-2017, 09:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your looking for a cheap press harbor freight has on for 79.oo less sometimes if you got one of there coupons bought one when pressing new bearings on the front gearcase on mine highly recommend sure better than beating the bearings off and installing new ones.With 7 bearings i'm sure it would be handy

Old 12-23-2017, 05:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by 850 trailrider
If your looking for a cheap press harbor freight has on for 79.oo less sometimes if you got one of there coupons bought one when pressing new bearings on the front gearcase on mine highly recommend sure better than beating the bearings off and installing new ones.With 7 bearings i'm sure it would be handy
That is a good price for a 6 ton press.Plenty strong enough for home use.https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-...ress-1666.html

Attached Thumbnails Growling Noise in Transmission-image_25165.jpg  
Old 12-23-2017, 12:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Picked up a bearing puller separator kit item #62593 to work with the 6 ton press it made life a lot easier to press of bearings
not a big fan of there electric tools but the shop tools seam to work out well for cheap!

Quick Reply: Growling Noise in Transmission