Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Sticky shift lever

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 03:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky shift lever

I have trouble with sticky shift lever. I think it's because I was plowing wet snow and it froze not sure has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it or is it something I have to deal with. It's a 1999 Polaris sportsman 500 4x4. Thanks for your input

Old 11-19-2016, 03:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Common problem on these older models as the shift box parts,linkage ends wear.Plus check that the aluminum belcranks on the gear case are tight as well as all 4 linkage ball ends on the linkage rods. Loosen the lock nut on the linkage ends,then remove the linkage ends at the shift box levers.May need to slap the shift lever to force it into neutral. If gear case is still in gear,use vice grips on the shift lever(s) to get the gear case into neutral. While the linkage arms are off, see if you have a lot of play forward and rearwards on the shift lever.This is where a lot of the problems happen when shift boxes lock up. While both the gear case and shift box are in neutral,loosen the linkage ends close to the gear box and turn until they drop straight into the shift levers with no resistance.Tighten the lock nuts on the linkage ends and install the 10mm nuts on the shift lever ends.
This may help for awhile all depends on how much the internal shift box parts have worn. Common items like linkage rod ends aare still avalable if they are worn along with some of the gear box parts but many are becoming NLA as the years pass.1999 Polaris SPORTSMAN 500 (A99CH50AB) Gear Selector A99ch50eb | Cycle Parts Warehouse