Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2004 Sportsman 700 Twin EFI

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Sportsman 700 Twin EFI

ALCON,
I have a 2004 Sportsman 700 Twin EFI.

The bike has only been trail ridden a few times.
Never submerged in mud/water.
It has primarily been used to plow snow and pull the lawn cart or log splitter around the yard.

The current issue, when the bike is first started and "cold" pressing the throttle causes the bike to completely die/stall. Riding at this point is a joke as the bike surges and cuts out, no power.

Once the bike warms up for 30 minutes it won't stall, however, the motor will cut out around 2500 rpm and other higher rpms prior to pinging the rev limiter.

The fuel pump and filter are new. The tank is insulated. The exhaust pipe is rapped with DEI lava exhaust wrap, the bleed vent and fuel rail has been cleaned/cleared. Voltages seem good but flux when the bike cuts out.

I'm now lead to believe this is an injector issue since it has been subjected to ethanol.

The bike idles rough, cuts out to the point at those questionable RPMs the bike is essentially stalling and turning back on due to crank momentum.

The OEM injectors for this bike are astronomical in price.
The injectors listed on this website are: Fuel Injector 1203077
2004 Polaris A04CH68AU/CU SPORTSMAN 700 (A04CH68AP/AQ/AU/CU) Fuel Injector | Babbitts Polaris Partshouse

Does this bosch injector cross refrence to any other automotive injector?
I'm going to naturally assume that 1203077 is a polaris number and the injector itself is just some standard 35/36 PSI bosch part.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Nic

Old 01-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Firts thing I'd do is check that the fuel pump pressure is holding around 39 psi.Injectors rarely are the problem,but the wiring harness and connectors to the sensors are. Read the "sticky" post above about "Spilling the bean on 700/800 efi problems" Most common problem we had was on the tbap and tps wiring or connectors that lead into the main harness.Thin wiring that could rub bare spots or melt internally.This post lead to a member making better harness repair kits. https://otbpowersports.com/products/

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Sportsman 700 Twin EFI-polarismanual_wiring_disclaimer.png  
Old 01-29-2017, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Right now i'm about 1/2 way through the entire electrical system.

I have only found one thing suspect, the Speed Senor or crankshaft position sensor. The connection under the front fairing was heavily corroded, looked like an old car battery type of white booger build up.

All connections have been disconnected, cleaned and given a huge dose of dielectric grease.

Any connection i could heat shrink to prevent dirt or water getting into has been sealed up.

the connections which exposed backsides off of the voltage regulators have been sealed over with Silicon to prevent water and dirt invasion.

Any cluster of wires going to a harness from the ecu have been isolated, wrapped in taped then bundled together. I also split a lot of heat shrink down the middle and used that in areas to provide better insulation from the other wires. Everything has been dressed and bound to prevent engine harmonics from vibrating insulation off.

I have not found any wires bare such as those shown in the sticky thread.

The TPS functions as advertised.
The TPS and TBAP continuity is correct back to the ecm harness, everything was at 0.1 ohms.

Lots of new braided loom, heat shrink and wax string is in use.

Given the age of the machine of 13 years, the quad has under 400 hours on it.

I will be putting the gas tank back on it and starting it up. Hopefully the corrosion on the CSS/SS is/was the issue.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hope what you've done helps,and yes the crank sensor/harness can cause this sort of problem also.The thing on the t-map is that it can be erratic. Connector pins can vibrate back and not make good connection to the sensor,wires that appear good,no abrasions can be melted internally.This was the main problem we had on the 500,700 and 800s especially if the idle was erratic,stalled or popped back through the throttle body.But again it's an efi and the problem can be in any connectors and wiring. Keep us updated as to what you find out.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

No dice.

The bike does occassionally throw codes 51 and 52

51 Injector 1: Open Load
51 Injector 1: Short Circuit to Ground
51 Injector 1: Short Circuit to Battery
52 Injector 2: Open Load
52 Injector 2: Short Circuit to Ground
52 Injector 2: Short Circuit to Battery

Posted a video to youtube: https://youtu.be/nKdN5oTWut4

https://youtu.be/nKdN5oTWut4">https://youtu.be/nKdN5oTWut4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Old 01-29-2017, 08:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Codes thrown don't always reflect what is actually happening. I've had these codes along with code 21(loss of synchronization) code 42(temperature sensor) etc and still ended up being the t-map harness.Just from your description on erratic idle and dying these along with popping back,smelling rich fuel mixture were several of the symptoms that we techs had the most of.You've done just about everything else and even Digital Wrench may not be able to find problems like this.That's why I still go back to the t-map harness repair kit.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Sportsman 700 Twin EFI-connector-768x431.jpg