Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2000 polaris sportsman 500 AWD issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 polaris sportsman 500 AWD issues

hey guys.Im a new member and would appreciate any advice y'all can give me. just bought a 2000 sportsman 500. noticed its always in 4wd while messing around with it for the first time. i checked the hubs and there was no oil in them,looked like just grease. so i put oil in them, jacked the atv off of the ground, and at first it was just rear 2 tires spinning, then all of a sudden the front two engaged after about 4 seconds (selector was still off for AWD) tried it in reverse too. same deal. when awd switch is on, all 4 immediately turn. speedo and everything else works perfect on this thing. just this issue. HELP PLEASE!!!

Old 01-24-2017, 07:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

NO grease!! Pull the hub and bearings,hilliard assy and armature plate off and inspect the bearings and also the armature plate for starters. Uses Demand Drive Plus hub fluid.Thinner than the old atf they once used and lubricates better. Look at this video to give you an idea.Not necessary to grease the bearings,hub fluid is fine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jpD9dx486A Here's a free 96-98 all models pdf manual that has the same set up and can help you even more.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Z7Rqhg&cad=rja

Old 01-24-2017, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply ! thats a little over my knowledge so I'm going to get my mechanic savvy buddy to help me next week. would it be horrible to ride it around saturday in awd before fixing this? nothing crazy, just put around for a few hours.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

also, all of the wire plugs at the voltage regulator were disconnected. a yellow wire, a yellow with red wire, then a brown wire and a red wire. I've been trying to look up and see what those go to but haven't found anything. sorry if these are ignorant questions, but I'm new to all of this.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

At this point I don't think you can damage it any more than it already is.My thoughts are the armature plates are magnetized causing full time awd. Bearings may be shot,hopefully the strut coils are ok along with the hilliards. I'd at least fill the hubs with atf like shown in the video until you have a chance to tear it down and be careful!

Old 01-24-2017, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

will do. Thanks a lot for your help!

Old 05-10-2021, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 1999 500 6x6 which has AWD in reverse problems. AWD works in forward so hubs are engaging. Over ride button is working cause when backing up in reverse it cuts out the speed delimiter, but in reverse the front hubs are not engaging when the AWD is pushed in and override button is pushed in. AWD light is not on in reverse. Any ideas.