Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

00 sportsman awd light problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 sportsman awd light problem

Hi everyone

I have a 2000 sportsman 500 and the indicator light on the handle bars for the AWD is not lighting up. I have snipped and grounded the two brown wires that go to each wheel due to my speedometer crapping out and my AWD works but the light does not. I'm just being **** but I would like it to work. Does anyone know if that bulb can be replaced and if so where I could get one

Thank you in advance

Old 02-03-2017, 05:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Technically no unless you like cracking things open and trying to find parts for one.You can only buy the lower assy if you're traced it down to the switch light itself.

Attached Thumbnails 00 sportsman awd light problem-index.png  
Old 02-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

After grounding the two brown wires it will go in and out of AWD I quickly pulled the switch apart last night and it appears to me if that switch works to engage and disengage the hillyard clutches the light should work. but I'm no expert is the light supposed to be a part of the circuit or should it still work with the bulb blown?

Old 02-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Early models (94 and before) with the separate awd switch had a bulb that could be replaced and did have to be good to complete the circuit. After 94 the bulb could be replaced but didn't complete the circuit,just a indicator only,the same as yours.

Attached Thumbnails 00 sportsman awd light problem-index.png  
Old 02-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks old polaris tech. you have been very helpful. guess ill be looking for a whole assembly.....

Old 02-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

#2010202 on the new part number lower assembly or if you're looking for a good used one #2010191(original part#) on Ebay. Just check Cheap Cycle Parts,Partzilla,Cycle Parts Ware House or even Amazon for a new one.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks again

Old 02-03-2017, 06:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just thinking about the speedo. Try jumping the brown white to the brown in the speedo harness connector and see if that has any effect on the light.This bypasses the speedo entirely on the awd ground path even though you have awd since you rerouted the coil wire grounds to a common ground.May or may not help,but worth a shot. I'm like you,I like every thing to work right. Some could care less about a simple thing as a light as long as the awd worked.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

ill go give that a whirl right now and post results after I have finished

Old 02-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

bingo it works using the method you said. now in theory I should be able to re connect the two small brown wires to their connectors and everything should work since we have eliminated the speedometer. does this sound right to you?