Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Need New RAD Hoses

Old 02-07-2017, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need New RAD Hoses

I have a 1996 sportsman 500 with a little over 600 miles. I am the 3rd owner. So it has done a lot of sitting. Went for a ride yesterday and blew a hose but was able to get back to the garage without overheating. Checked a couple of sites cheap parts and amazon and don't show a replacement. Anyone use other type of hose that will work? Thought about heater hose looks to be same size maybe a silicon type if heat resistant. Any info appreciated.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

1 inch inside diameter hoses. You can use standard automotive heater hose in that size in most cases.Don't have to use a silicone hose. Some of the oem hoses that are preformed can be a little problem on replacement,but just make sure there are no kinks and you shouldn't have any problems. Be sure to bleed all the air from the system.Fill the radiator up,leave the cap off and let the fan cycle on and off several times.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks OPT, I thought I had read that on some of the previous boards. I have an additional question, My fan does not come on very often, I know not the usual problem, it does come on but not very often. I am not a fast or mudder just a slow trail rider, I was wondering if a lower range contact would be in order or leave well enough alone? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

First thing is to make sure the radiator is clean font to rear.It may look clean but dirt can pack up at the rear. Second thing is to replace the temp sensor on the radiator. Simple two pronged sensor that's nla through Polaris but you can match them up at most auto stores.Last could be the old motor may be getting weak. Replacement motors are high $ but on ebay they show Spal type fans that can replace these old style motors with the metal blades if needed.

Attached Thumbnails Need New RAD Hoses-7.090.048-sensor.jpg  
Old 02-08-2017, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks I will check the rad to make sure clean. Should I go to a lower rated sensor or stay with the same

Old 02-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Try to stay with the same rating if you can.Wouldn't hurt though if a replacement is a tad lower temp to trigger the fan. If the fan doesn't trigger any faster then you may need to look for a fan replacement.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

I have the two rad hoses off but no hole. Is there a by pass hose or some other hose I am not seeing? When it went steam from under front of engine area . Any ideas?

Old 02-16-2017, 07:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hose may have a pin hole that you didn't spot.If you have new hoses just replaced them.Or you can reinstall the original,find the leak,cut the bad section out and use a pipe for a splice and a couple clamps. If it's not the hoses,could be a small leak in the radiator vanes causing the steam or the over flow line at the cap area leading to the reservoir bottle may have a leak.

Attached Thumbnails Need New RAD Hoses-tech7-2.jpg  
Old 02-17-2017, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

Got the new hoses on. I could not route them back to the original was due to stiffness. I had to run one over top the exhaust to the front. Any ideas to put over this one hose close to the exhaust? I was thinking maybe metal tape or I have some exhaust wrap left maybe put that over the rubber hose or do you think it would keep the heat in? The fan never came on or the hot light once I filled the rad up. I will check the temp trigger and most likely get a new one. Ran it hard for 20 minutes or so no leaks, no hot light and no fan.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Use the heat wrap on that one hose. If you have heat problems with this hose,you can always install the oem preformed hose you have,repair it like I showed earlier if you find a leak on it.Oem hoses are expensive,some you can't get anymore,but can be repaired if need be. Hopefully the sensor solves the fan problem,plus you can always run 12 volts to the fan to make sure it's operating properly also.

Search this Thread