Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2004 Magnum shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Magnum shuts off

So I have a 2004 Magnum 4x4 and while I was snow blowing with it, it just turned off. First I just started it again and it ran for a minute. Tried to start it again and it would just click near the battery. Tapped what I assume is a solenoid and it started, then quit. I noticed that the display turned off. I turned the key off and on and nothing, no display and no clicking. With the key on, I hit the winch button and the display came on. Turned the key to start and it started, headed for the garage but it quit before I got there. Hit the winch to activate the power to the dash, and started it up but it only ran for a few seconds, repeated this a few times and now it won't do anything. Lights and dash don't work, horn and winch and snow blower all work but they are hooked direct to battery which is good. So basically it shut down quicker each time and all within about 5 minutes. Long post but I like more info than less.
Thanks.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Start at the beginning and check all connections at the battery,solenoid,etc.Plus have the battery fully charged and load tested. If you can get it running check the voltage at the battery. Should be around 14+ volts.If it's charging, that part of the ecm is ok. If you still have problems on power to the dash and it continues to die,the other sections in the ecm could be the problem,the battery itself could have a dead cell or both could need replacing if a battery load test fails.