Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1997 polaris 425 magnum 2x4 problems

Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 polaris 425 magnum 2x4 problems

hi my name is zac wood and im from evington virginia...i purchased a 1997 polaris 425 magnum about a year ago shes been doing good ever since 3 months ago. it started to bog down half throttle and up.. i loose power speed and everything iv tested it and i had about under a quarter tank of gas put in it and it go its speed back power and everything but yesterday when i was riding i put a full tank off gas and it bogged and lost power and speed...iv rebuilt the carb and cleaned it
iv put new spark plug on it with new plug wire
adjusted fuel and air screw to a factory polaris setting (my dads friend did it bc he has a polaris 800)
made sure every seal and hose are tight
i just dont know whats wrong with it i would really enjoy some help because im lost

Old 02-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Pull the black wire from the reverse limiter module at the terminal board and see if this solves the problem. Item #37 on the parts break down. If that doesn't help,then pull the cam cover and check the valve clearance. .006 intake and exhaust.Check for exhaust cam lobe wear that was common on the 425 and the early 500s also.Here's an example.Bad Cam Pic - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Attached Thumbnails 1997 polaris 425 magnum 2x4 problems-index.png  
Old 02-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Thankyou old polaris tech me an my dad will get on it as soon as possible and i will tell you what happens.....we pulled the rev limiter wire already and my worst fear is that the cam is worn

Old 02-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hope it isn't,but a common problem on the engines.

Search this Thread