Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

attn# retired tech

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 08:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default attn# retired tech

Have 2010 sporstman 500 ho atv 130 miles on it 30 hrs had since new gets stored inside a shed a lot took it out starts right up but real hard shifting lube linkage same thing shifts fine when off any ideas

Old 03-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sitting up hurts them more than riding constantly. Sounds like either the idle is too high,just lower the carb idle a little and see if helps on shifting.If it doesn't,then probably belt is walking over and touching the inner drive clutch sheath. This puts pressure on the driven clutch and makes shifting hard. Clutch alignment should take care of this since it's a low hrs,low mileage machine. You can remove the clutch cover and see if the belt is riding off center of the front clutch. Usually adding a couple shims behind the rear clutch allows the clutches to align better and belt to track center.This takes the load off the rear clutch and makes shifting easier. Look at these posts on basically the same thing. Creeping in gear, hard shifting. https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...-creeping.html

Old 03-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info I'll try lowing idle a little.It shifted fine when put away in september could it be just because not riden.It's my daughters an its never been beat.Now getting married an wants to sell it.Don't want to sell with problems.She would like to get $4000 for it.Do you think thats fair with 130mi an 30hrs.even though 7yrs old

Old 03-09-2017, 10:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Take it out and drive the devil out of it. That may be all that's needed is to get parts moving around and the clutches may loosen up,shifting may be easier. Hurts to let these machines sit up for long stretches of time..

Old 03-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Apparently she never did ride it much. I occasionally see very low mileage machines like this. Someone will buy one and only use it for hunting once a year. I couldn't stand to let one sit like that.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

I put that many miles on in a week, haha.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2006 Sportsman 500 with 128 miles on it , I sold it 2 years ago , buyer didn't even hesitate when I asked and got $4000.00 .

Old 03-10-2017, 04:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Saw a lot of machines like this over the years that people only used once or twice and stored em in the garage collecting dust.Either lost interest or something needed repaired and they were forgotten about until they wanted to sell them.Then I'd have to get a brand new looking old machine running again.