Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2008 Sportsman 400 HO AWD not working

Old 03-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Sportsman 400 HO AWD not working

Ok, I know there have been plenty of threads about AWD not working and I have done some searching and didn't find this answer, my apologies if I missed it in another thread.

I am trying to diagnose/eliminate possible causes before removal of the front differential and having a look at the roller cage assembly. When I move the switch to AWD there is no indicator that lights up on the speedometer display, as far as I can tell the other functions of that display work. I don't know if the indicator not coming on is normal when there is a problem regardless of where the fault lies or if by not coming on, it points to something more specific. I appreciate any input, I'm new to ATVs but like to fix things and am learning as I go.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I meant to put this in the normal section, my apologies

Old 03-15-2017, 03:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Jump the brown/white wire to the brown in the speedo harness and see if that restores awd. This just bypasses the front dif ground wire from going through the speedometer. If that doesn't help,then could be the plastic roller cage in the diff. If it's the cage replace it with an aluminum one.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you OPT, will hunt around for that plug and give it a try.

Search this Thread