Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2001 Magnum 500 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the good advice. Cheers

Old 03-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm having real bad luck lately, I just finished putting new anti freeze and running it for about 1/2 hour to get all the air out. When I was happy to see that everything is working,fan,circulation and no overheating I turned it off and tried to restart it. Now it won't start,solenoid just clicks. It started about 20 times yesterday with no problems.
OldPolarisTech can I message you directly?

Old 03-19-2017, 03:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just trace it down. Start with the battery and connections,load test it if there is any doubt.When the solenoid clicks check to see if power is transferred to the starter cable. If not,then the solenoid is bad. If power is going to the starter,loosen the 10mm nut and move the cable around to try to get a better contact,then tighten the nut.If that doesn't help,then tap on the starter as you try to crank it. It it works then the brushes could be worn and dirty,armature where the brushes ride may be dirty. If it's a starter or even a worn bendix under the recoil housing locking the engine up,these can be found cheap on ebay.Not a bad idea when you get it running to check voltage at the battery to see if the regulator is keeping the battery fully charged at around 14volts or so.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did some reading (lots) and came across an article on how to check your charging system and they say to unplug the yellow and yellow/red wire behind the front grill to do test. As soon as I read that I remembered unplugging this wires when I took the grill and rad off. Plugged everything back in charge the battery and all is good. I want to thank you for all your help. If only I knew it was just an air lock none of this would have happened and would have fixed it quick.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes plugging the regulator wires back in helps.. Regulators had enough problems of their own from vibration and wires would become disconnected and drain batteries.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Another problem, while cleaning up inside headlamp assembly because a mouse made a nest a wire broke off a ceramic looking resistor I believe for the heated handlebar grips. Is there anything to use that's better than that, solid stiff wire coming out both ends.
Name:  100_3695.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  26.7 KB

Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

These resistors get hot. That's why they use solid wire instead of stranded wire.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ah!!!�� I found some at a local electronic store for $2.99 per 2