Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Override switch help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Override switch help

I have a Polaris 1999 Scrambler 500 and my override switch gets stuck sometimes. Ive decided to remove it altogether but i have one issue. I cant figure out which wire i need to remove! Anyone know which one?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just disconnect the black wire from the reverse limiter module. It eliminates this module and also along with having to push the over ride button to get full power in reverse.Item#29.

Attached Thumbnails Override switch help-48af90caba564201c10ca9c4a0d17d1cd33d1149.png  
Old 01-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Just disconnect the black wire from the reverse limiter module. It eliminates this module and also along with having to push the over ride button to get full power in reverse.Item#29.
Will 4WD also work in reverse without hitting override button ?

Old 01-01-2018, 12:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

No. You may still have to push the over rid button for awd in reverse in most cases. Probably a way to bypass that I suppose. The over rides have been out for years.Polaris Mod's - Light mod, Reverse Overide and Others - TrackShare.com

Old 01-01-2018, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer

From the link you posted in case OP wants to try it !

Pre 2003 and almost all models that do NOT have the combined override/speedo function button.

Trace wires from the override button (gray/white & gray/orange) Cut the gray/orange and tape up both ends. Cut the gray/white and tape up the end which goes to the override button. Connect the other end of the gray/white to the red/white (ignition supplied 12v) You will also need to trace the purple wire which comes from the handlebars and simply cut and tape both ends. Done deal.

It says it's " Reverse Override/Rev Limiter Bypass Instructions ". Now does that mean I would get 4WD AND full power in reverse ? And do I still need to disconnect the black wire off the reverse limiter module ?

Old 01-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

From the people that have done this,there were several that said they had to still push the override to get awd to work. The gray/white wire comes from the awd switch and ties into a red/white power wire. The awd wires at the hub coils are gray(power wire),brown (ground). This over ride may or may not tie into the hub wires. I've never done it and just heard from a few that did.Only thing I ever did was pull the black wire from the limiters at the shop when people had problems and didn't want to replace them.It would give them full power in reverse.As far as awd,they still had to push the over ride if I remember correctly.Try the bypass and see what you find out.