Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

05 sportsman 500 HO Charging Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 sportsman 500 HO Charging Issue

Ive been searching and seem to find the same answers all the time which dont relate to my problem but are somewhat related to the ecm issues. I have a replaced ecm (surepower) its older! But anyhow, my problem is I charged battery to 12.8v, everything works fine on dash, has new stator but I find the battery does not go up in voltage to 13-14.6v as required when running at 3000-4000rpm. The meter does not spike in voltage, the voltage drops a bit when i turn lights or winch etc on(obviously) so my question is if anyone has had or knows if the ecm would cause this symptom?

Old 04-07-2017, 06:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Load test the battery to make sure it's in good shape,then get another ecm. Don't get a used one or you're asking for more of the same.2004-2006 POLARIS Sportsman 450 500 Scrambler OEM Surepower ECM PDM 2203348 | eBay

Old 04-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the quick reply, I kinda figured it was the ecm as this seems to be these machines weak spot. I'm new to polaris as I'm a Honda guy but seems there's enough info and guys like you who know these units! I ordered one up so hopefully have it next week and see where it goes from there!

Old 04-07-2017, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found it weird to not find any info on my specific issue as there is a ton of guys who seem to have the voltage spike to 17-18V and fan running while bike is off. Yet I never experienced this on my bike. Hope this helps someone else down the road!

Old 04-07-2017, 06:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Brochu
I found it weird to not find any info on my specific issue as there is a ton of guys who seem to have the voltage spike to 17-18V and fan running while bike is off. Yet I never experienced this on my bike. Hope this helps someone else down the road!
I've replaced them from under charging,over charging,fans wouldn't kick on,fans wouldn't kick off along with some that wouldn't send power to the electronics,dash,switches,etc. Too many functions that the ecm controls and any one of sections can go out or multiple sections at once. Just to rule out the new stator charging coil,you can trace the yellows from the stator leading to the ecm module.There should be some resistance between each yellow and no yellow should short to ground.