Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2002 Polaris Magnum 325 Oil temp light on

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 10:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Polaris Magnum 325 Oil temp light on

I have a 2002 polaris magnum 325 and the oil temp light comes on a few seconds after starting and kicks the fan on, then continues to stay on until you shut the machine off for a few hours. I know this is very common for the polaris magnum quads. Either my SWITCH-THERMISTER,LR-62
(4010590) has gone bad or my THERMISTER (4010274) has gone bad. Either way it costs a arm and a leg to replace those parts so I want to bypass it all and just put the fan on a switch. Does anyone know how to correctly disconnect the computer so that the machine does not go into limp mode? I can simply cut the wires to the light on the dash and then send 12v to the fan via a switch, but Im not sure what to do about the computer so it doesnt think its overheating. any ideas? Thanks.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Disconnect the red or red/white wires from the thermister module,leave the sensor in the oil cooler but disconnect it and wire up the fan to a toggle. These fans never kicked on until oil temps got to 260 degrees and cut off when oil temp lowered to 240 degrees when they worked right. Many oiled cooled machines never had fans to begin with.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Disconnect the red or red/white wires from the thermister module,leave the sensor in the oil cooler but disconnect it and wire up the fan to a toggle. These fans never kicked on until oil temps got to 260 degrees and cut off when oil temp lowered to 240 degrees when they worked right. Many oiled cooled machines never had fans to begin with.
Thank you so much! Ill give it a shot