Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Gear selector switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear selector switch

Have a 1996 Polaris explorer.Pulled shifter lever out and book said to remove pin on gear selector switch but all I see is a tiny spring .Is there something missing that fits over the spring and goes into hole on shifter lever?

Old 04-18-2017, 09:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yep,looks like the plunger tip with the ball end is broken off.Probably down in the bottom of the shift box. High dollar switch but it can be bypassed. Gray/white wire in the shift box can be moved on the terminal board to the red/white terminal section. This will allow power to then hub coils and eliminates this switch. Many have done this rather than spending close to a 150 bucks for a new switch.

Attached Thumbnails Gear selector switch-a7d2c7922ccf220cd14383dbbff16b1d.jpg  
Old 04-18-2017, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Maybe I'll try making one to slide over the spring.and if it doesn't work I'll just by pass it.
would kind of like to make the gear selector lights to work.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Cederbergb
Maybe I'll try making one to slide over the spring.and if it doesn't work I'll just by pass it.
would kind of like to make the gear selector lights to work.
the pins are broke off the lever too .So I'm already drilling holes to put new dowel pins in so the lever won't spin around and break it again