Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

04 Polaris Sportsman fires only once

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Polaris Sportsman fires only once

Hello,
I have a carbureted 2004 Polaris Sportsman that I purchased used. All of a sudden one day i went out to start it, and it would roll over but would not start. I released the key and switched it off and it backfired one time and then continued to just roll the engine. I could hold the key and the engine would roll over but would never fire.I could switch the key of and try starting it again and it would fire for just a second or two and then shut off. The machine will not fire unless you switch it off and then back on again, and then it only fires for a second.This went on for days trying to solve the problem, i got frustrated and quit.Went back and tried to start it about 3 weeks later and it fired right up. rode it around for a couple months. with no problems now it is doing the same thing again.I saw some post about ECM problems. I am hoping that my problem doesn't fall into that category but im stumped. Something electrical is keeping it from running. The fuel is there, the spark is there, it just fires for a second or two then quits. Any help or discussion of similar experiences is greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

ecm will caUSE ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS WILL ALSO BURN THEM TO THE GROUND check vin#with deALER , IF ITS SILVER make them replace it. ask opt he'll tell you

Old 10-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Range Rover

there was also a problem with a pinched spark plug wire between body and frame that year.see if wire is free

Old 10-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Now that you mention the spark plug wires. I did in my earlier troubleshooting play with the spark plug wires and found that if i removed one of the spark plug boots the unit would fire and run on one cylinder. Then the problem went away. I bet that spark plug wire is grounding out causing my problem.I just keep moving the wire and it quits shorting for a while.hmmm

Old 10-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by abyrd
Now that you mention the spark plug wires. I did in my earlier troubleshooting play with the spark plug wires and found that if i removed one of the spark plug boots the unit would fire and run on one cylinder. Then the problem went away. I bet that spark plug wire is grounding out causing my problem.I just keep moving the wire and it quits shorting for a while.hmmm
You must have a 700 correct?? If its an early build date 2004 carb model 700 model, could be the Ducati ignition system. Have you looked under the front panel at the coil OR coil pack and if it says Ducati,there possibly lies the problem! If it has the Kokusan ignition(separate coil,cdi) then could be an ecm problem as noted above! OPT

Old 10-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes. Sorry i forgot to say it was a 700. I just pulled the front cover. If the coil pack is the black square box right up under the headlight. Then it definitely is a Ducati model. Is there any kind of recall or upgrade on this coil.Is there anyway to test it. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by abyrd
Yes. Sorry i forgot to say it was a 700. I just pulled the front cover. If the coil pack is the black square box right up under the headlight. Then it definitely is a Ducati model. Is there any kind of recall or upgrade on this coil.Is there anyway to test it. Thanks for the help.
If it has ONLY a coil pack which has both plug wires coming from it and says DUCATI then you have the early system which needs to be replaced with a complete Kokusan ignition kit # 220602 (around $400) Notorious for loosing spark on these models!!
IF you have a SEPARATE coil and a separate CDI (ignition controller) module under the front panel ,then you have the updated system! OPT

Old 10-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is a black square box with an ignition wire coming out of each side and has Ducati on the front. Seems like it would either or not work and not be so intermittent. Thanks for your help with this I greatly appreciate it. I have VIN #4XACH68A83A732758. Do you know of a good place that i can look it up?

Old 10-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it says DUCATI,then you can research all the posts on this ignition problem in this forum and other forums,but the updated kit consists of a new stator,flywheel,cdi ,ignition coil,regulator/rectifier,plus three jumper harness kits(you usually just need two) and a set of instructions on how to replace. The symptoms on the Ducati system were intermittent spark,backfiring,many would run ok,the owner would stop the atv and it would never crank back up! This ignition system can fail with out any notice! Again kit #2202602 if it applies. Cycle Parts Warehouse is about the cheapest online to purchase this kit! Its not even necessary to contact a dealer on your serial number if it says DUCATI anywhere on the coil!! Look under MAGNETO on the parts breakdown for the 2004 700 Sportsman and it shows the replacement kit # for the early build machines! They are all bad or will eventually go out!! OPT

Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

OPT is right. I just did my ignition on my '03 600 a few months back. Pull one of the spark plug boots off to check for spark. My guess is the Ducati ignition has failed. Mine was running fine and then had a few instances where is was hard to start. Had to crank a lot and then it would fire. It would seem to run fine then 1 day it just wouldn't start. Turned over until the battery was dead. Checked for spark...none. New ignition and it has run perfect ever since.($450 for parts)....Good luck.

Quick Reply: 04 Polaris Sportsman fires only once