Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2004 500 HO sportsman no spark after wet ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 500 HO sportsman no spark after wet ride

Was out on the week-end for a long couple of rides. Bike ran fine all week-end. We hit a deep water hole and my buddy in lead totally swamped his ride. We towed him out and got everything working on his bike. My ATV had water in the belt so I drained it and it ran fine after that. We rode for another 30 minutes or so and went back to camp. Later that evening, went to start the ATV but it wouldn't catch. It will turn over just fine but won't start - checked for spark and nothing. I noticed that my pull start rope was sopping wet as well so I drained the recoil housing but not a lot of water came out. Is it possible that water got into the stator and fried something? Is there anything else I can test for?

Appreciate the help!

Old 04-25-2017, 11:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You're on the right track. Pull the recoil cover and use an air gun or electrical contact cleaner to blow out any accumulated moisture from the pick up coil,flywheel and as much as you can from under the stator. Same thing under the front panel.Remove electrical connections,blow them out and use some electrical grease. Make sure you blow out the spark plug boot and down into the plug cavity just in case any water may have made it that far.Then check for spark.