Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Wiring Led lights and lost power to "key on accessory " wire.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Led lights and lost power to "key on accessory " wire.

Had a brain cramp yesterday while wiring in a set of LED lamps. Hooked up the switch incorrectly and ended up with a dead short across the wire under the tool box that is used for accessory items. I heard the familiar buzz of what I thought was a fuse cooking but after I figured out the correct wiring and got the lights on and the ground correct, I then pulled and checked all fuses in the fuse box and all were good.
I then used the test light on the "switch on" wire that is not connected to anything and found I had lost power to the wire. Further to this, when I started the bike to check all the other items such as heated bars and thumb warmers, lights, running lights, brake lights etc, I found that when I engaged the 4 x 4 switch it would not show the little diagram on the dash in any mode.
Is there another fuse I don't know about or have I cooked a relay that would operate the 4x4 and turn on the light in the gauge as well?
I don't have the shop manual with schematics to trace the accessory wire as I feel if I can restore power to it then my other issue with the indicator light may go away as well or will be a separate issue.
Any light you can shed on this problem is greatly appreciated as usual.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Unplug the speedo harness connector for a couple minutes,plug back in and see if the awd symbol appears. If it doesn't then sounds like you need to trace the awd switch wiring into the speedo connector.The speedo section in the manual has a connector pin check that can help along with the wiring diagram also.2012 Polaris Sportsman Touring 850 HO Service Manual PDF Download