Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Melted awd hub wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 08:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melted awd hub wiring

1st atv & 2000 sportsman 500. Been fixing the 4 wheel drive system & had to replace a cv axle on right & all went well. Got to the left & had a bad strut as the inner pole was cracked inside the strut & someone had stuffed with grease. I ordered a new/used strut. cleaned the hub & hilliard and all worked for a few days. had a wiring meltdown while driving it all the way down that left front side & burnt the R/W wire & plug on the run/start/headlight switch before I saw it smoking & shut it down. I have replaced the strut magnet & wiring plug on the switch that melted but want to add some in-line fuses so in case there is a short in the AWD again it will blow that instead of melting wiring down. Is it best to place 1 in each gray lead going down to the coils or just put 1 on that R/W wire before it gets to the plug on the switch. Know post is long but don't want to rebuild all this again.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you correctly repaired/replaced what caused the meltdown then really not necessary to use inline fuses.If you choose to do so,I'd use a low amp fuse(say a 5 amp fuse) on the gray hot wires. Sounds like the used strut coil was the cause to begin with.

Last edited by old polaris tech; 05-30-2017 at 09:01 AM. Reason: awd coil
Old 05-30-2017, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Just had not been able to find much info on this happening when a coil shorts. Finding the right wiring plug was the hard part. Not available at Polaris anymore & did not have much luck matching it up. At least did not blow the switch out. Good thing I got it cheap as it is turning into a nickel & dimer.