Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI Secondary Clutch Spun Off

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI Secondary Clutch Spun Off

So I've seen one or two posts on this subject from many years ago but nobody had a solution to the problem. My belt blew in my bike and upon taking the belt box housing off, the outer sheave on the driven clutch fell to the ground. From what it looks like, the only way the outer sheave is held on is by threading onto the inner sheave. The inner sheave has external threads and the outer sheave has internal threads. The bolt that attaches the entire clutch assembly to the transmission does have a washer, but the diameter of it is not large enough to retain the outer sheave. My question is, how did this happen and what is the solution? There looks to be no snap rings, retaining washers, or anything of the sort to keep this sheave on other than the left handed threads holding it on to the inner sheave. Any thoughts on the subject? This is very strange and I don't want to just thread it back on and have it spin right off next time I ride.

Thanks,
Kenny

Old 05-31-2017, 11:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Two different ebs clutches for this model. Have heard of people having this happen,but never had one come into the shop.My two cents is the snap ring getting weak under pressure,especially on the one clutch which may be yours.

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI Secondary Clutch Spun Off-9920013c06.gif   2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI Secondary Clutch Spun Off-9920022c06.gif