Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light

I have a 2011 Polaris 850 sportsman with EFI and EPS and 275.8 hrs. Have had the battery on the tender all winter and take it out up and down the street about every 2 weeks. No issues. Last week took it out and I have a check engine light and it's rough running. You tubed it and found the possible culprit may be the contacts under the throttle cover. They were touching with throttle closed. Tried to adjust with no luck so I put a piece of zip tie between them and took them out of the equation for trouble shooting. Still have the light and rough running. Found a Polaris manual on line and also read it may be the TPS. Using the manual I disconnected the TPS and ohmed out the connector. Here are my results.
Pin 2 and Grnd should be infinity, flashes 17.? then nothing
Throttle clsd pin 1&2 should be 4k-5k reference I get 13.38 on the 20k setting
Throttle opn pin 1&2 should be 1150-1250 reference I get a 1975 flash on the 2000 setting
Pins 1&3 should be 4k-6k I get 6.0 on the 20k setting throttle open or closed. I also checked things out with the connector installed and gently piercing the wires with the probes but the readings are all over the place so I'm thinking that's not the correct method.
Not an expert by any means but my 1st thought is the sensor is bad. Hooked it back up still have the light. Looked at it today light is gone and it starts and runs fine. Go figure! Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Intermittent codes,check engine light is usually harness or connector related as you've found out.You can read the sticky post above this section of 700/800 efi problems. This includes all Polaris models. Most of the time the tbap was the problem on idle,back firing conditions,but the tps harness can do the same thing.Connectors themselves can be faulty,pins can move plus the major problem was the thin telephone size wires that they used. You can also find these wires with bare spots or soft feeling wires that have melted internally.Sometimes you can move the harness while it's running and notice an engine change. If you need a tps or tbap repair kit you can find better ones than Polaris supplied here.https://otbpowersports.com/products/

Old 06-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2017, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry. 1 more question. Are the T-Bap and T-Map sensors the same thing or 2 separate sensors? Thanks

Old 06-01-2017, 07:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Basically the same thing. Depends on engine and year models in what the manuals call them. Temperature manifold absolute pressure sensor for the tmap,the tbap senses air temp and barometric pressure,both send a signal to the ECU so that the ECU can adjust the fuel accordingly.