Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1995 sportsman 4x4 help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 sportsman 4x4 help

Hello I have 95 polaris 400 4x4 which i believe is a sportsman. The issue I have is the 4x4 is inop when pressing the button on handle bars nothing lights up and it stays in 2wd. I thought sure I saw a thread on this website which outlined the diag procedure for this issue but am now unable to find it. If someone could please point me in the right direction as far as diagnosing this issue I would appreciate it. Thankyou!

Old 06-07-2017, 09:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This later model bulb doesn't affect awd operation.If the bulb is burnt out it's been discontinued. If you're willing to pay 30 bucks for 2 from a scalper.. 4030047 Polaris | eBay With the key on,awd button pushed,see if you have power on the gray wires on the terminal board. If you don't have power try pushing forward on the gear shift lever and see if the awd button lights up or you have power at the terminal board. If it does then the problem is in the gear position switch in the shift box.These switches can wear out or move back and the shift lever won't push the switch plunger in. Several different ways to get power to the gray hub wires. You can move the gray/white wire from the shift box to the red/white terminal and see if that restores power to the gray hub wires. If it doesn't then you can move the hub wires to the red/white terminal and awd will be on when the ignition is on. If you need a manual,here's one for 10 bucks.https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....utility-hauler

Old 06-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The price of those light bulbs is beyond ridiculous and I hope they never sell any. What a rip off.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Getting close to finding a replacement for these old discontinued bulbs. Similar in design plus they're only 48 cents..https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...panel-led/220/