Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1996 magnum 435 no spark

Old 06-24-2017, 09:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Clean the carb and replace at least the needle and seat or get a rebuild kit. YES the air box and filter and lid need to be installed to properly adjust the carb and can be part of your problems.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After some early morning futzing with it, I have found that with the black wire from either the cdi or the rev limiter pulled at the terminal block,it wil start and run, and continue to run when the wire is plugged back in. If I try to start it with the wires connected it fires breifly, but shuts down right away life someone hit the kill switch. The brief fire nature has me confused, but my thinking seems to be pointing to the rev limiter.

A carb cleaning is on my immediate to do list. I repair rental equipment for a local building supply and rental in exchange for at cost materials and most folks have no idea the havoc cause by ethanol fuels. I do alot of carb cleans on small engines but those are not as complex as a cv carb. (And I have 4 of them on my Honda cb900c)
So into the ultrasonic it goes!
Thanks again, OPT You are a light shining in the darkness.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yay! I figured out the high idle issue!
After a carb cleaning and confirmation of the carb setings I still had the problem.

On a hunch I went looking into the intake boot having a vacuum leak.
Upon removing the boot from the cylinder head, I noticed the aluminum of the head had a film of corrosion where the boot mated up to it. A little careful work with some 600 grit sandpaper and the surface was shiny. As a precaution, I put a very thin film of Permatex gasket maker on the boot itself and after reassembly, it idled down as I got the idle screw adjusted. I actually moved out of the shop and into the garage under it's own power for the first time tonight!

On to the next issue. Fire but no start with the black wire from the speed limiter connected.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by joethegasman

On to the next issue. Fire but no start with the black wire from the speed limiter connected.
Leave the limiter unplugged as they all fail. You'll have full power in reverse and won't have to push the over ride button. Unless you want to spend 50 bucks or so for a new crappy limiter module.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

if it's ok to run with it disconnected then that's how it's gonna be.
I tend to think the concept of the Rev limiter is the result of an over abundance of concern for liability anyway.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by joethegasman
I tend to think the concept of the Rev limiter is the result of an over abundance of concern for liability anyway.
Intelligent,well constructed comment on how to describe the lack of importance of reverse limiter modules.. I've called em a heck of a lot worse that's not fit to print..

Old 07-03-2017, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just an update, after the spark issue, straightening the steering shaft,( I think it got flipped out of the back of a truck by the scratches and minor damage) replacing a ball joint and an alignment of the front end, a new drivebelt just to be thorough, and a buch of odds n ends bringing it back from the dead, The thing is still up and running and I'm taking it camping the day after the 4th.

My wife has even given it the name of Lazarus!

I just want to express my thanks to you OPT. You have saved me a lot of frustration and head scratching in this endeavor.

Joe

Old 07-04-2017, 05:07 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Lazarus..

Search this Thread