Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Not sure about this new axle - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure about this new axle - advice?

Hi all, I have a 2004 Sportsman 500 and ordered a rear axle from East Lake Axle to replace the original that had gone bad. Once I had the axle on, I noticed that there was play where the splines attach in the differential, where my original Polaris axle had zero play. By play, I mean I can move the axle shaft laterally and the housing next to the differential moves back and forth. Other than this and the inner CV boot leaking grease after my first test drive, it seems to be a good axle.

I was able to replace the clamp on the inner boot, but the play just doesn't seem right. Is this play acceptable, or a sign of poor aftermarket part fitment? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Shane

Old 07-01-2017, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

Does it have play when sitting on the ground? Coincidentally, I have to put 2 new front axles on my 2002 Arctic Cat. Boots are leaking. My mechanic suggested replacing vs replacing the boots. I'm going to hang on to the old ones, just in case the Chinese ones are total crap. OEM made in USA ones are $250 ea, Chinese ones are $56 ea.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by hydrex
Does it have play when sitting on the ground? Coincidentally, I have to put 2 new front axles on my 2002 Arctic Cat. Boots are leaking. My mechanic suggested replacing vs replacing the boots. I'm going to hang on to the old ones, just in case the Chinese ones are total crap. OEM made in USA ones are $250 ea, Chinese ones are $56 ea.
Actually, that was before fully installed. After installing, remvoing, and installing the old one several times, it now seems to be pretty snug with it fully installed (hub, etc.). So I think I may be OK.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

With no weight on rear drives shafts,yes you can have a little play. Noticed that even on brand new ones when when you jack up the rear end.