Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Need help. 05 Phoenix 200

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help. 05 Phoenix 200

Just bought an 05 Phoenix 200. The previous owner couldn't get it to run, said maybe bad fuel.
So we drained the tank put a new plug in and new fuel and it started right up. Drove it around for 10 mins and it stalled out, wouldn't start for 20 mins.
Then I replaced the carb, fuel filter, new battery, air filter, carb boot that goes to the air box. Did and oil change.
The machine ran 10 times better, but after about 20 mins of riding it stalled out and backed fired and wouldn't turn back over until after it sat for 20-30 mins and the battery acted dead. Found a short on the started, charged the battery and still wouldn't start after 20 mins of riding. Opened the drain on the carb, still have fuel, pulled the plug and checked for spark, still have spark. So I checked valve clearance, got that adjusted. Still the same issue, but now it will start right back up after it stalls out and idles but as soon as you give it gas it will shut off. I'm very confused on what is causing it to stall out, it's kind of acting like it's over heating, but there's nothing in the way of cooling it down.
Any help would be appreciated, I was thinking of changing out the ignition coil but I don't want to just throw parts at it.
Thanks in advance

Old 07-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check the tank vent and carb vent to make sure they're open. If kinked can cause problems. Pull the fuel line from the carb and check that the on and reserve positions are flowing ok. If you have spark and fuel supply even when it dies it has to be something else.Plus on a new carb I'd always check to make sure they are clean and open. Some have found new carbs to have trash in them.If that checks out,then time to check compression.Plus wouldn't hurt to make sure that the regulator is charging 14 volts back to the battery while at an idle.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I cleaned the tank and carb completely, checked voltage. Everything is normal. Still dies and when I restart it the wheeler will run like it's miss firing. Once you touch the throttle it dies. Checked voltage on ignition coil and it's all over the place. Do you think that's could be the issue?

Old 08-01-2017, 12:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Rather than guessing get this cheap 5 buck manual and go through the fuel guide, ignition trouble shooting checks and resistance checks.It may be electrical related but again I'd still check compression against what the manual call for.It may be loosing compression as it warms up.2005 Polaris Phoenix 200 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 09-18-2017, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Checked everything per service manual and everything checked out. Compression was good cold and after the machine would die. All electrical checked out and the fuel and carb were to spec. The machine still acts as it over heats and has an irregular idel after it stalls out. Thinking about just dropping it off at the dealership.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sometimes a dealer may be best when they can't find what's wrong. Another pair of eyes sometimes can find what you may have over looked.