Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

New owner of a 2002 sportsman 700 and need help witha few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If the other 3 tie rod ends are tight,you can get by with replacing just the one. Jack it and check for any play on the swing arm bushings and ball joints while you're at it also.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OPT I have a few more questions for you. Do you recommend any fuel cleaner/ treatment for the sportsman 700 and what fuel octane do you feel it runs at its best? Also I did install new odi grips on the quad but had to move the brake and throttle controls closer inboard about a 1/2''. Will I need to adjust the throttle cable or since it was working just fine I have no issue? Also seems like the old owner had jerry rigged a battery to the rear rack and I'm in the process of putting the battery in the correct position, So I have a question as to how the negative and positive battery cables are ran into the battery box? Any pics would be of great help. Any easier way to change the front brake fluid out without using the mityvac?

Old 07-16-2017, 01:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

My two cents either Marine Stabil or Star-Tron. Throttle slack at the thumb lever should be no more than 1/8" or the etc contacts can touch and cause hard starting or won't start unless you give it throttle. Mityvac is the easiest way but you can use shop towels to soak up fluid from the reservoir,top up with fresh dot 3 or 4 fluid and start bleeding the rear caliper first until the fluid is clear.Then move to the front right caliper then the left. Just keep the master cylinder full at all times. This video on a 2003 shows how the battery is mounted and cable location. Same as your 2002 model.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks once again. what do you recommend for fuel octane? Also Any brand you prefer for rear wheel bearings?

Old 07-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

87 or 89 octane. Premium fuel you're just wasting money. Look at this site. Shows a lot of parts that can be used instead of oem parts and purchased at most auto stores,etc.http://apicdn.viglink.com/api/click?...d-m888094.aspx

Old 07-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default Wheel bearing install

When you press out the old bearings, do you press the new rear wheel bearings in as well?? They were nice and tight pressing out, but I have since cleaned the hubs and rid of all the corrosion.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can press them in or what I did was simply put the bearing in the freezer,heated the hub with a propane torch and just dropped the bearing in. Then replaced the large snap ring.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

Can you throw the hub in the oven too??? What temp do you think you will need???

Old 07-18-2017, 05:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

400 degrees in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or so while the bearing is in the freezer. Have a hammer and punch handy in case you need to seat the bearing further.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer

OPT thanks again for bailing me out. your infinite knowledge has saved my bacon once again. Now next question... What color wire can I tap into the ignition wire circuit to hook up a wire for the warn 2500 provantage winch? They say to tap to a wire when you turn the key to on or start so you can run the winch. The wire from warn is red, but seems like there are a few red wires in the ignition wire bundle? Thank you!