Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2015 Sportsman 570 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 03:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2015 Sportsman 570 Problem

Today I took my Sportsman 570 for a long ride, and at about 20 miles it started to loose power and then backfire. I turned the ignition off and waited about 2 minutes and then restarted it. It ran great for about 2 miles more and then started to loose power and backfire again. I had this happen about 4 more times until I got back to my trailer. Does anyone have any idea about what's going on?

Old 07-28-2017, 05:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like something a weak fuel pump would do,but is it throwing any codes? If not then it's best to have Digital Wrench find the problem.The service manual can help,but only so much you can do with a meter in the garage. I'd at least check the connectors and wiring from the tps and tbap sensors for any bare or soft feeling wires that may have melted internally. Also wiring from the crank position sensor that may be intermittently grounding out to the engine.Not sure on the 570,but the other atvs had 39psi +/- 2 psi that the fuel pump had to hold steady.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your help-- I'll see what I can find.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update--I had the fuel pump checked and it had 60lbs pressure. I took it out for another ride and the same problem again. I decided to change the fuel pump and then another ride 28 miles long and an elevation climb of 5000 ft--NO PROBLEMS, it ran like new!!

Old 09-21-2017, 04:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sometimes hard to trace intermittent problems like this but sounds like the fuel pump even though showing good pressure could have been shorting out,loosing pressure when it got hot. Glad a new pump solved the problem.