Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

New owner of a 2002 sportsman 700 and need help witha few questions

Old 07-09-2017, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of a 2002 sportsman 700 and need help witha few questions

I had just got this 700 4x4 used so my questions are, Do you guys recommend the dynojet kit? I have no problems with fuel or acceleration and was just wondering if this is a "must do"? Also It looks like i have a little water seeping out the weep hole on the water pump. Still have the plastic cover installed, So i don't know if that warrants the seal kit AND the new metal cover??? Also would you rebuild the carb with 1500 miles on it; again no running issues or throttle response issues. Also last but not least I think this is a canadian model if that is such a thing, but anyway is it just a matter of time for the Ducati electrical system to crap out? I don't believe this one has the new Kouskan mod. AND finally i'd like to drain and refill the coolant but i have the repair manual and the owners manual but nothing really touches on what the procedure is. Can you help me out?

Old 07-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Coolant leaking through weep hole,then yes time for a new water pump seal and also the oil seal.Plus get the newer metal water pump cover and gasket. The BEST way to replace this seal is covered in the manual. Don't do as some have done and used picks,screw drivers and pliers or you take a chance on bending the combo oil pump/water pump shaft.No better time to replace that crappy Ducati ignition as the flywheel and stator has to be removed to get the outer case off to replace the seals. The choice is yours on that one.Shindy make a good carb kit for the 700.New Shindy Carb Repair Kit For Polaris 700 Sportsman 2002-2006 03-417 | eBay Radiator has a drain valve or you can pull the lower hose. All that has to be done when you replace the water pump seal. Main thing is raise the front end when you install coolant,leave the cap off and let the fan cycle on and off several times to help purge trapped air pockets. Add coolant as the radiator level goes down. Then you can replace the cap,top off the overflow reservoir and test ride.This may take a little time to purge all the air so be patient.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:36 AM
Trailblazer

Thank you sir for the information. Do you recommend doing the rebuild even though I'm not experiencing any problems??? Or do you recommend the dynojet kit?? I guess from what I've read guys like it for higher altitudes but other than that don't really notice much of a change being a stock quad??

Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it's still running ok,it might be one of the Ducati ignitions that hold up.The choice is yours on that one. Don't go for that RM stator system that's cheaper than the Kokusan as it still used the Ducati lighting coil for an ignition source as I've had the lighting coil fail also. Then you'd have to find another used Ducati stator. My two cents on the Dyno jet kits is that you're paying for that titanium needle mostly. The Mikuni jets they use are remarked to their sizing so you really don't know what size jets they are. Just stay with a Shindy kit if the carb needs to be rebuilt. Higher altitudes you can always drop the main jet,raise the needle clip and some people even remove air box lids instead of changing jets if they are temporarily going into higher altitudes rather than mess with jet changing.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:52 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah I dont forsee higher altitudes in my near future lol. Now do you know where I can find a procedure to flush or drain/refill the coolant system?m The manual doesn't really touch on a procedure to do it?

Old 07-10-2017, 08:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look back at my first post on the coolant..

Old 07-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Trailblazer

sorry sir. Thank you!!

Old 07-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer

anyone have any ideas to which brakes to replace with? EPI or polaris factory front brakes???

Old 07-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

EBC are the best you can get and what a lot of shops stock along with oem pads and shoes. We sold more of them than we did oem. Mainly because they were cheaper and just as good or better than oem.

Attached Thumbnails New owner of a 2002 sportsman 700 and need help witha few questions-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 07-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

again thank you so much sir. Now what are your thoughts on tie rod ends? Looks like just the right side has some side to side play. should those be replaced in pairs or just do the side thats loose?

Search this Thread