Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Extensive Electrical Issues with 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 08:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extensive Electrical Issues with 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500

Hello! I am having a variety of possibly related issues with my sportsman 500. First I will detail the issues themself, then what I've done so far. Firstly, when started, all headlights are getting 18v of electricity when running. This has resulted in all lights blowing. Speedo does not work, awd does not work, the tiny reverse light does work, not the neutral light. When I turn the key switch off, or the engine kill switch, the ATV keeps running. Occasionally if I turn it back and forth and mess with it it does shut off. Then finally the other day after starting, white smoke started coming from some wiring. After taking it apart I see now one of the ground wires that goes from the ignition coil into the engine area (near recoil handle), is burned up the entire length. Any idea what is going on here? Also, another brown wire that is tied into the burnt one is snipped and onle 1" long. Possible related also, a large ground on the frame just above the engine is cut. I have attached pictures of everything. Please let me know what to try! I cannot find a wiring diagram for the 2000 500. Thank you!

Old 07-31-2022, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 sportsman 500

Originally Posted by Dczymmek
Hello! I am having a variety of possibly related issues with my sportsman 500. First I will detail the issues themself, then what I've done so far. Firstly, when started, all headlights are getting 18v of electricity when running. This has resulted in all lights blowing. Speedo does not work, awd does not work, the tiny reverse light does work, not the neutral light. When I turn the key switch off, or the engine kill switch, the ATV keeps running. Occasionally if I turn it back and forth and mess with it it does shut off. Then finally the other day after starting, white smoke started coming from some wiring. After taking it apart I see now one of the ground wires that goes from the ignition coil into the engine area (near recoil handle), is burned up the entire length. Any idea what is going on here? Also, another brown wire that is tied into the burnt one is snipped and onle 1" long. Possible related also, a large ground on the frame just above the engine is cut. I have attached pictures of everything. Please let me know what to try! I cannot find a wiring diagram for the 2000 500. Thank you!

hey hows it going? Did you ever figure out what was causing these problems? Im having about the exact same issue on my 2000 sportsman 500 as well and would love an explanation. Thanks