Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

02 Polaris Sportsman 700 dies when warms up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Polaris Sportsman 700 dies when warms up!

Hey guys, so I'd like to start out saying I love my big twin 700. Also I am aware the ac ignitions are notorious for failing. Now on to the issue. On a recent outing, we had ridden just shy of 50 miles. Machine ran great. Stopped at a trail crossing, didn't even kill the engine, pulled out aggressively and machine fell flat on it's face. Would not start, cranked fine but no start. Towed back home... Once in the drive, just for fun, hit the ignition and bam, fired right up. Rode around 10 minutes or so and all was fine. Next day, checked plugs and replaced plug boots as the were pretty rough. Topped off with fresh gas , fired right up, and took off again. Ran great for 2.7 miles and the same thing, died. I sat for 30 minutes, cooled down in the shade, machine ran 1 mile toward the house, died again. At that point, towed it home. After cool again, fired right up. What's the deal?

Old 07-17-2017, 02:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Since you're aware of the Ducati ignition problem sounds like it's time to change it out.What you're experiencing is one of the symptoms. Dying,hard to start,erratic idle,back firing,excessive gas usage,plug fouling,etc. Some people have even killed their machines and they wouldn't crank back up. Babbits has the cheapest price I've seen on the updated Kokusan kit. $500.Polaris 2202602 - Kit, Ignition : Babbitts Polaris Partshouse My two cents also is get this complete kit and not the cheaper RM kit as it uses the Ducati lighting coil for an ignition source and it can fail also.Here's the best video on hooking up the new kit. I got a little confused myself on the first one I installed as the instructions weren't very clear.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the information Old Polaris Tech. I was afraid this was going to be my issue. Is there anything smaller I should check before biting the $500 bullet?

Old 07-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can pull the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine over to see if the pump is working ok. You might luck out and possible it's a fuel pump issue.Also check that the carb and tank vents are open. You can get those for 12 bucks or so if the pump is at fault.The other thing was the 700 could split intake manifolds underneath the clamp that held the carb. Hard to find unless you removed the clamp. If these check out ok,then sounds like it's another Ducati ignition failure.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Damn Ducati strikes again! The carb boot is brand new and pretty, the pump pumps good( but only tried cold), and when it shuts down, there's no pressure built up in the tank, which should mean tank vent is good.. I'll check carb vent but it's looking like I'll be counting pennies and getting the ignition upgrade. Thanks again.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Benk
Damn Ducati strikes again!

Yep,but wait until you have the newer dc ignition installed. Easier cranking,better idle and acceleration. Seems to wake this sleepy old engine up and runs the way it should have been in the first place.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sir, I have very similar issue as the other fella. machine has been fine then all of a sudden on a hot day 90 degrees after riding a little bit going up a small incline she just stopped running with one loud back fire. 30-40 mins later it started right up and i drove a little and it died again with another quick back fire. I left it in the woods and came back the next morning then it started right up and I drove home. Obviously it gets hot and stops working but I have not had any issues otherwise. Is it not possible to just replace the ignition coil as that could be going bad? $560 bucks to change the whole ign system is a lot. Just wondered if theres any chance it can just be that.
Thank you sir.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a look at he boot that goes from the airbox. Check it for any cracks or holes. I just had this issue on a different animal, but that boot was all tore up. Runs great now.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stalling issues

I have a 2002 Sportsman 700 that stalls when hot. Ive changed the ignition system from Ducati to Kokusan, new radiator, fuel pump, fuel and air filter, both carburetor boots, thermostat, wire harness, temp sensors, fuel line, head gasket, and plugs. Could it be a water pump issue? Fan does come on when hot.
Thanks

Old 05-11-2021, 10:53 AM
nm2
Weekend Warrior

I have the same problem with my 2005 700. The kit you mentioned is only for 2002 to 2004. Is there a kit for a 2005?