Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Speedometer stuck on wrong side of pin

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer stuck on wrong side of pin

I am working on a 2000 Xpedition 425 and the speedometer needle is on the wrong side of the pin. At first I believed the speedo wasn't working but after further inspection I noticed the needle on the wrong side. By pin I am referring to the button that changes the odometer settings. Has anyone had this happen? The service manual says the speedometer can stick if the machine is turned off while in operation and driving the speed shown will reset the needle. That is not an option for me with the speedo needle maxed out. Is it possible to reset the needle?

I haven't found a photo sharing service that I can work since photobucket started charging. The link below is a picture of the speedometer.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3fKava

Old 08-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Only thing I can say is that you'd have to remove the bezel and see what you can do.Couple posts on repairing speedos that could be of help. http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ml#post3232409
KA7OEI's blog: Repair of the speedometer on a Polaris Sportsman 500 4-wheeler

Old 08-21-2017, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Could a bad hall effect sensor cause the needle to stick in this location? I unplugged the speedo and nothing changed. I may be stuck trying to take it apart and looking for obvious bad electrical parts then trying to find someone who can solder.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Possible,as I've had plenty of hall effect sensors go out but when they did the needle wouldn't move at all.Don't know how this could have happened unless the needle spun all the way around. Curious case on this one.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never heard of this happening before. If I didn't now better I might think it was pegged at 90-100 MPH and the needle stuck. You might have to take it apart and move the needle by hand.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

im going to be taking the speedometer off when I replace the steering bushings. I may go ahead and take the speedometer apart at that time.