Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Top end rebuild 1999 polaris magnum 500

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top end rebuild 1999 polaris magnum 500

Hi,
I am hoping someone out there can help me out. I am doing a complete top end gasket replacement on my quad. I have a new gasket kit by moose racing. Which way does the head gasket go? Is there an up side to it? I can't remember which way it went from when I pulled out the old one. It has the two rivets on it. Is it the bigger part of the river down or up And unfortunately, I can not find anything on it anywhere.
Also, any advice like torque specs and procedure or steps to take on to getting the motor running again would be greatly appreciated! And is there such thing as a free manual pdf for this machine lol. Can't find it neither.
Thanks

Old 08-29-2017, 06:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Same specs as the Sportsman 500. Head gasket can only go one way. Locating dowel pins on the cylinder determine this. Same torque specs as the Sportsman 500.
Tighten to 30 Nm (22 ft.-lb.).
Tighten to 70 Nm (51 It .-lb.).
Loosen each of the four bolts exactly 180'
( 1/2 tum)
Loosen each of the four bolts again exactly
180' ( 1/2 turn) .
Tighten to 15 Nm ( 11 ft.-lb.).
Tighten each of the four bolts exactly 90' (1/4
turn).
Finally, tighten each of the four bolts exactly
90' (1/4 turn) more.

Hard to find free manuals but 5 bucks won't break the bank. Well worth the price and can help you in many ways.1999 Polaris Magnum 500 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 08-29-2017, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thank you. What would the torque be for the cylinder to the crank case?

Old 08-30-2017, 08:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The two small 6mm bolts torque to 71 inch pounds..That's in the manual also along with a generalized torque setting on different sized bolts. Spend the 5 bucks and get the manual. Can pay for itself in the first job and help in the future repairs and service..

Old 09-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know I'm a little late but I just wanted to say thanks again for the help. I did get the bike running again and all put back together. But unfortunately I ran into another problem or two. Seems that the battery doesn't output the proper voltage when running. And will die eventually.
The high temp sensor will come on when the bike is stone cold. It was working at one point but just recently started this after the thermostat o ring started leaking. Which I do have to replace.
I did do some research and figure that the rectifier might be the culprit for the battery issue. Would this also cause the sensor to act up too?

Old 09-13-2017, 02:49 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like the regulator.Common on these machines along with the fan sensor located at the top of the radiator. Common for those to burn out and allow the fan to run constantly. Oem regulator is 150 bucks,but this one interchanges with the oem part number.Rectifier Regulator FITS POLARIS ATV 4060173 2203636 NEW | eBay
Aftermarket fan sensors are fairly cheap for the Magnum.
Amazon Amazon
"IF" it's just the hot light coming on and not the fan itself,the thermal temp sensor has shorted. 100 bucks for an oem sensor,cheaper aftermarket one here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Spor...hYhnpL&vxp=mtr