Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris wont start unless jumped

Old 08-30-2017, 08:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris wont start unless jumped

Hello, i have a 2003 polaris sportsman and a couple weeks ago the battery seemed dead so i started the quad and ran it. During the outing the dashboard shut off and the quad stopped and would only idle when the throttle was completey open. After a couple minutes the quad began moving again. After about 1/2 mile the quad did it again and this time stalled. It would not start back up no lights would illuminate and turning the key would not make any noise, thus it needed to be jumped. On the return trip it stalled once more and needed to be jumped again. This is a new battery and i checked all connections. After the research online i am guessing the stator but dont wont to jump into something so labor intensive and expensive initially. Any other thoughts on this?

Old 08-30-2017, 09:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Jumping a battery can damage electrical components..Charge the battery and load test it.Being new doesn't mean that it can't have a dead cell. Once running check that it's receiving 14 or more volts from the regulator at an idle. If it's not charging could be as simple as a regulator wire pulled out of its connection,common thing to happen on some Sportsman models,or the regulator is toast. You can pull the yellow wires from the regulator that lead to the stator and check resistance between each one. Should be some small resistance with NO yellow shorting to ground. If the stator wires check out ok,get a new regulator from ebay or amazon.

Search this Thread