Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Oil & Fluids questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 07:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil & Fluids questions

I have a 86 Sportsman500L . I have questions about substitute fluids. Is there a substitute for the Polaris synthetic chain lube or the engine oil-listed as Premium 4 all season synthetic? I am not really near any Polaris dealers. I understand the 80-90 oil used in the front gea rcase. is generic. The type F fluid for the hubs is kind of generic also. I assume that the type F fluid is what the older Ford vehicles used long ago, but they switched to type A (dexron) later.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Guess you hit the wrong key,96 Sportsman 500. You can use any good synthetic oil from 0w40,5w40,5w50.Doesn't matter if it has friction modifiers or not. Any gear case oil suitable for chain driven gear cases such as Amsoil,Lucas(at most auto supply stores),Bel-Ray,etc. 80/90 GL4 or 5 in the front diff. Hub fluid Type F if you don't have any other options.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right- 96 model. I am not sure about this chain gear case oil, does the container actually say chain case gear oil? Some of the parts places don't have the sharpest people. An actual brand would be helpful- Thank You for the response.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Any brand that says for chain driven gear cases such as this one from Torco.Check your local auto supply also as they probably have some for snowmobiles(if you're in snow country) that can be used in both applications.

Attached Thumbnails Oil & Fluids questions-81fpgyiasxl._sl1500_.jpg