Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

rear end grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end grinding noise

Hi OPT dave here went to use my 1998 sportsman 500 the other day its picked up a grinding noise in the rear end it kind of comes and goes and sometimes is quite noisy seems to almost sound like a bent shaft as it will make noise in a consisstant pattern would it be a bearing? HOW HARD TO PULL AND TEAR DOWN REAR END. My buddy said he did nothing to it it just started this bad grinding . Dave

Old 09-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be a worn bearing in the hub or could be a worn u-joint in the drive shaft. Jack the rear end up and turn the wheels back and forth to see if you have excessive play in the u-joints. If it's worn too far a yoke may have to be replaced also if damaged. If it's a worn drive shaft u-joint,always replace both of them on the shaft. Expensive drive shafts to replace as a complete unit. Sometimes hard to get the bolt out holding the drive shafts to the spacer. Best to loosen both sides at the same time in most cases and start both bolts back in at the same time.

Attached Thumbnails rear end grinding noise-07fffbfcf95af0f257eb5138f7dee9ae3c3777f0.png  
Old 09-12-2017, 03:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grind in rear end

Hi OPT resolved the grind . The front bolt that holds the front arm of the left rear axle vibrated out and was rubbing on the rim. that is why I could hear a consisstant pattern to the grinding. On another note my water pump is leaking through that little hole on the bottom of the engine [just like the old car water pumps.I took the pump apart was able to get the impeller off but cannot get the spring and any thing else thats with it . any Ideas?I noticed the washer with the rubber insert is damaged assuming that is why its leaking?Thanks for the help Dave

Old 09-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

DON'T try to pry out the water pump seal. Actually cheaper to let a dealer pull the seal(have everything ready for them) rather than buying the tool that's way too expensive for a one time job. Trust me on this one as you DON'T want to possibly bend the combo oil pump/water pump shaft getting this seal out. I've had to split a couple engines because of this..NEW POLARIS WATER PUMP SEAL PULLER REMOVAL TOOL SPORTSMAN 500 ATV 2872105 | eBay