Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2001 Sportsman 500 ho no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Sportsman 500 ho no start

It was running a month ago. Now all I get is the dreaded click coming from the solenoid. I had a new solenoid so I put it in. I also had a backup starter that I put in. No change.

So I am going to test voltage with the multi-meter.

How many volts should I have at the battery?
How many volts should I have to the solenoid?
How many volts should I have out of the solenoid?
How many volts should I have to the starter?

If there is a guide somewhere to test the starting circuit, please point me in that direction.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Start at the source and charge your battery up and have it load tested. May be as simple as that. Now days I wouldn't even trust a new one as they can have a dead cell straight out of the box.If the battery checks out,you have a new solenoid,used "known good" starter,then make sure the connections are tight,plus could be the starter bendix may be hanging up causing the problem. As far as batteries,this site can tell you everything you need to know and what to check. https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/ho...ry-is-bad.html

Old 09-17-2017, 10:42 AM
Trailblazer

Charged up battery. Had 12.7 volts. When it is load tested in only shows 7.7 volts. The odd thing is when I jump it (attempt because it doesn't start) off my truck it shows only 7.7 under load as well.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just replace the battery and go from there as you already know the battery is bad..

Old 09-17-2017, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer

Just bought a new battery. Same thing.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Ok,then see if power is going to the starter itself. If it is then sounds like the starter is the problem. If there isn't 12 volts jumping to the solenoid,then the solenoid could be bad. Plus does the solenoid click,make any kind of noise? If not check that the small power wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid has 12 volts when you hit the start button.If it doesn't, could be an ignition switch problem or a left control switch problem..You can always jump the solenoid posts to test a starter also. Plus simple things like corrosion on the solenoid cables,starter cables can cause problems. Loosen the nuts up a little, move the cables around and tighten. Same for the starter cable.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

I can get 12 volts to the solenoid but 3.7 volts out of the new solenoid--the old one was giving me 7.7 out.

When I am moving the wires sometimes I notice a click at the winch solenoid in the back compartment.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the winch solenoid is clicking then you may have to do some wiring trouble shooting there. This may be the problem area and not in the solenoid.If that checks out,possible to have a faulty solenoid if it's one of those cheap aftermarket ones.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer

The solenoid to the winch is fine. I have the recoil cover off and the Bendix out. If it is working properly the starter gear should spin right?

Old 10-02-2017, 10:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the battery,start button,solenoid are working ok,then the starter motor should turn.