Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

00 Magnum 500 no spark, I have tried everything I know

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Magnum 500 no spark, I have tried everything I know

How I got here. The magnets on the flywheel came loose and destroyed the stator. I got a new flywheel and stator, installed it and she started right up. After running for a few minutes she died. I couldn't get it started so I back tracked. I found out the flywheel rubbed through my pick up (Pulse coil) wires and grounded out. I taped them and tucked them back better, still wouldn't start. So I switched the pick up to the old one, still no start also gaped to .4. I have replaced the CDI, ignition coil, wire and plug cap and I still get the same results.

Coil primary side: .9 specs .3
Coil secondary: 0 with cap 0 through cap 0 specs 6300 with cap 113000 just cap 5000

Capacitor charge coil:
green to black/red 0
green to red 3.7

Pick up/pulse coil
white to white/red:132.0

Coil mount to engine:.2 specs 0-.2

I also disconnected the black CDI wire for kill switch and the speedometer with no luck.
When I try to start and test the plug wire (no cap) I get .1-.2 volts

Old 09-17-2017, 07:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Stator doesn't show what the specs are in the manual wiring diagram.If it's a Chinese aftermarket stator that could be the problem.Some are hit and miss.

Green to Black/Red 446 ohms
Green to Red 1.6 ohms
Pick up coil White to White/Red 97 ohms

Old 09-17-2017, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes its a Chinese one. It ran fine before the flywheel cut the pick up wires. If the stator did become faulty would that cause it not to have any spark? I don't understand why I have no resistance on the secondary coil or cap, the new one or the oem. Could there be a fuse that popped when the pick up was grounded?

I really appreciate you commenting on this. You have helped me install a cam, rebuild the top end after cam pin failed, awd switch problems, etc and we have never talked haha. My bike is cursed. Thanks

Old 09-17-2017, 08:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I've had to replace a lot of stators when the green and red/black were out of spec. Plus the pick up coil is out of the allowable 10% +/- range also. Coil primary,tab to ground .03 ohms.No fuses in the ignition system. Does kinda sound like the ignition system is cursed..

Old 09-17-2017, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

When I used the oem pick up coil it was .97 but I guess that wouldn't matter if the stator can block it from getting spark. Looks like ill have to break down and buy another stator.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I cant be to mad, I found a really good deal.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I know they're not cheap but either Ricks or Ricky stators have a good reputation unlike the cheap Chinese stators. I've used both places but on the Magnum 500 Rickys is 50 bucks cheaper than Ricks.Ricky Stator - Products Just in case you don't want to give a Chinese made stator another chance. Oem stator is close to 500 bucks.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Taking a chance on used electronics is almost as bad as some of the Chinese junk that's offered on ebay. You might get lucky though and find a good one.