Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Front Axle CVJ Boot Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 10:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Axle CVJ Boot Confusion

Have a 96 Polaris 500 that had a tore front axle boot so I ordered a BTB boot thinking for some reason that was the correct boot but now looking at the axle the boot looks to be a little tight both on the axle and the CVJ side. Have not tried to slip it on the axle but its tight. I roughly took a caliper and measured the inside of the boot on the small end and checked it against the grove on the axle and they are close.

Now that I have the axle out stamped on the CVJ is ISA or USA 4070320764. Now all I can find is the BTB and Neapco boots from the OEM suppliers. Does anyone know which is the proper boot?

Thanks for any response appreciate it.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Bad idea on Polaris to have two different cv joints that wouldn't work together. Sounds like someone has changed the whole system as BTB or Neapco should have been stamped on the cv joint if stock. Don't know if an after market later Caltric boot will work ok or if this is the one you bought already. FRONT AXLE OUTER CV BOOT KIT Fits POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500 4X4 1996 1998-01 2006 07 | eBay Sometimes it's frustrating enough to where some have changed complete sets out with cheap Sixity driveshafts,etc for the 95 Sportsman.Universal boots are out there,but again may not fit right. IF you're sure these are the original drive shafts and the Btb boot doesn't fit,then the #3260120 Neapco boot should.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-part...VZtGDo&vxp=mtr

Last edited by old polaris tech; 10-14-2017 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Neapco cv boot.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:09 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the response.

I took the old boot and was able to determine the length and it's close to the new BTB boot. I got the BTB boot to slip over the CVJ and with some frustration and grease, got it to slide onto the axle so it will work. The rubber is thicker in the BTB boot then the one that was on it so may last awhile.

For what its worth the old boot had printed on it made in the USA #86-2343. I have no idea whats with that. I bought this 96 Polaris in 2003 so there could have been an axle replacement before I got it. Also the clutch coil wires on that side have been worked on so something may have happened.

Also putting new coils on both sides as the stock coils and wiring are a mess. It's now a back-up quad so does not have to be perfect but the 4WD has to work. Replacing one bearing and race. The rest have some wear but are pretty good as it will not get ran a lot.

Again thanks for your input.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:38 AM
Trailblazer

Hope you were able to figure this out. If you haven't, might be worth giving ACV a call, they're generally pretty good at being able to help out.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not order the same part for replacement -
CV JOINT BOOT KIT/ OUTER/ POLARIS VW Parts

Old 11-22-2017, 06:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Yooper265
Why not order the same part for replacement -
CV JOINT BOOT KIT/ OUTER/ POLARIS VW Parts
On the first two year models(96/97) many people have run into the same thing as the cv joints used(Neapco,BTB) were different,had different diameter shafts,both cvs were different lengths and not every Polaris or aftermarket boot could fit right. I fought this same thing for several years at the shop.1998 models on up the cv joints were a bit more standardized and a lot of different boots could and do work. Plus here's a post I made 5 years ago on the differences between Neapco and BTB cv joints that an owner was having trouble with.
"Differential wasn't the problem as the drive shafts have a female end to them and just used a clevis pin to hold em in place on the differential splines. Plus both Neapco and BTB matched the differential splines,BUT not each other on the cv shaft end spines or in the cv joints! Can't remember which year the cv joints were longer. I remember this because the parts manager ordered the wrong one for me one time and I saw the physical differences between the Neapco and BTB. Been toooooooo long ago PS the differences in length were from 1996 and in 1997 the cv shaft nut was a regular castle nut with a cotter pin versus the first year Sportsman (1996) that used a compression nut and circlip.Plus the same year(1996) you had to make sure you ordered for the correct side as there were left and right hand threads on the cv shaft end!! Those were the days I'd just as soon forget!"