Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 07:04 AM
cfk
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Where it makes a difference or not we had the Polaris test harness with the 9 volt battery and regulator.It was super sensitive to the slightest movement of the tps which was in most cases very little that we had to move it. A lot of times the only setting we had to make was the final vdc reading as the base setting didn't have to be moved. All that I'm saying is that something caused the machine to run wild. That's reason enough to have it checked out rather than mess with it again.It may be something other than the throttle body or tps and Digital Wrench could probably find it.
Makes sense. Thanks again!

Old 10-27-2017, 07:06 AM
cfk
Trailblazer

Update.. put a new throttle body on it, it started great and ran great, but idled high again. Tested the TPS voltage and it was right at .710 like it was supposed to be. Wiggled the TBAP wires and the idle went all crazy...felt like the clouds broke and the heavens shined down on me!

I "tested" the TBAP before by pulling on the wires where they went into the plug and they were all tight so I thought that was good. After discovering this, I unplugged the TBAP and opened up the wire loom to find a few of the wires all frayed.

Spliced new wires in last night and plugged it in...runs like new and idles exactly like its supposed to!

Old 10-27-2017, 09:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

the tps are already pre adjusted at the factory and should NOT be tampered with. If you still have problems then that could be a t-bap wiring or connector problem
This was my first post on this.. I thought you already eliminated the t-bap wiring? We had more problems with connectors and wiring than any other thing. Sensors,throttle bodies,etc normally wern't a problem but the wiring was. You've got it patched up,but get a good t-bap harness repair kit from Otb and solve this problem. https://otbpowersports.com/products/

Old 10-27-2017, 10:19 AM
cfk
Trailblazer

This was my first post on this.. I thought you already eliminated the t-bap wiring? We had more problems with connectors and wiring than any other thing. Sensors,throttle bodies,etc normally wern't a problem but the wiring was. You've got it patched up,but get a good t-bap harness repair kit from Otb and solve this problem. https://otbpowersports.com/products/
Yeah I thought it had it eliminated when I checked the connections in the back of the plug, but just never dug into the tbap any further.

Thank you again for all your help, and sorry it took me so long!