Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1994 Polaris Xplorer 300 4x4 Transmission change???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 08:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Polaris Xplorer 300 4x4 Transmission change???

Good morning so Im about to go attempt to go take the cracked transmission out of my 94 300 4x4, im guessing I have been driving it awhile like this with no negatice results as I purchased it a few weeks ago noticed the tranny fluid was empty, I filled it went out for a few hours then parked it. Went oiut the next morning to go riding again and it was empty again?? I thought the guy forgot to fill it but apparently not. So I took the skid plate off the bottom and went to fill the tranny AGAIN and as I suspected it was dripping ontop the ground. I have a good little leak down there. I just want to know the quickest or any trickks to remove this Transmission if anyone has one. I have the manual....but it doesnt always tell you about little tricks others have figured out. Im hoping it isnt an allday job. LOL
TIA for your replies...

Old 11-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Manuals are great help on tearing apart and assembly,but they figure you ought to know how to tear one out of the frame.. Not something that everyone knows the ins and outs about that. I'd remove the exhaust as it's easier to get to the linkage arms to remove them from the gear case belcranks. Remove the clutches and backing plate to be able to get to that side mounting bolts. Remove the left chain cover,outer sprocket,brake caliper and brake disc. Then you can get to that side mounting bolts.Plus it's easier to just remove the shaft bearing plate(16)to get to the inner sprocket and pull it off. Once the bolts are off you can pull the gear case out from the clutch side. The manual goes into great detail on the gears,shift forks,etc. Plus ALWAYS replace the silent chain even if it's pulling good. No worse feeling than to have to go back in later on to replace it. Seals need to be replace along with making sure the bearings,gears,etc are in good shape. Any bearing that's bad or rough feeling needs to be replaced. You can use the universal number such as 6205,etc to find them locally and cheaper.. Again the cheap manual will pay for itself on this one job. Xplorer 300 didn't come out until 96. Here's the 94 300 4x4 and 96 Xplorer 300 manuals. Take your pick. 1994 Polaris 300 4X4 Service Manual PDF Download 1996 Polaris Xplorer 300 Service Manual PDF Download Gear cases are fairly similar in design and take out and tear down. First one is the 94 300 4x4,second one the 96 Xplorer 300.

Attached Thumbnails 1994 Polaris Xplorer 300 4x4 Transmission change???-a4cf2ece934a21a5f5aa9de758a478c8c6e764f3.png   1994 Polaris Xplorer 300 4x4 Transmission change???-aee4c610afe651d300db42a919d048f56fdd057c.png