Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2001 Sportsman 500 ho no start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. They were messing around with wires. I'm pretty sure they fried my new starter. I hope they didn't fry the stator. I called this morning. The mechanic is supposed to call me back.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:24 AM
Trailblazer

They never called me back. Big surprise. I am pretty sure they know they screwed up.

They did fry my brand new starter. New starter and it turns over like before--but with no spark. I ordered a new CDI (they said the CDI was fine) because that is what the Polaris manual said. I put the new one in and it fires right up.

Now it won't shift into to Reverse. Also, I swear when the lever says it is in low it is in high and visa versa. I know they removed some part of the linkage to pull the recoil cover to check the stator. This was never a problem before--never, for 19 years.

What could they have done wrong ?

Old 03-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hooked the linkage arms on the wrong belcranks or didn't have the gear case in neutral when they hooked the linkage up would be my guess on the shifting problem. Just remove the linkage arms from the shift box levers,use channel lock pliers if needed to get the gear case belcrank in neutral. Loosen the rod ends at the shift box end,have the shifter in neutral. Adjust the rod ends to where they fall straight in the slide holes with no resistance then tighten all the nuts.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer
Old 03-01-2018, 03:22 PM
Trailblazer

That is how they re-installed it. Backwards. I flipped the long H/R to the outside and it works fine. The new problem is the Low shift linkage was put on with too much pressure and the stud snapped when I removed it. So I have to buy a new linkage arm.

You cannot make this up. This is work from an authorized Polaris facility.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just because you call yourself a tech doesn't always mean you are one. Like the Farmers' insurance adds,I've seen a thing or two..when it comes to guys like this Glad you got it straighten out.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah. I appreciate your help along the journey.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:37 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreybandel
That is how they re-installed it. Backwards. I flipped the long H/R to the outside and it works fine. The new problem is the Low shift linkage was put on with too much pressure and the stud snapped when I removed it. So I have to buy a new linkage arm.

You cannot make this up. This is work from an authorized Polaris facility.
They should be paying for it since it broke when you were fixing what they screwed up. If the manager of the dealership wouldn't take care of it I would talk to the owner.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:54 AM
Trailblazer

I think I will write a letter to the owner.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by jeffreybandel
I think I will write a letter to the owner.
If they don't respond positively and offer some sort of compensation,then find another shop. Pretty sure you already had this in mind anyway. I sure would have.