Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Wiring Question

Old 11-15-2017, 08:52 AM
cfk
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Question

Been looking at the schematic and can't figure this out for the life of me...

Machine in an 05 Ranger 700XP, and there is a light on the dash "panel" for the parking brake (no speedometer, just a little panel with lights for park brake, temp, R, N, L, H), but it doesn't work on mine. I looked down under the dash by the parking brake and there is a switch there with a metal tab for a female connector, but nothing is connected to it.

I assume when I start tracing wires, I'll find something cut or unhooked, but trying to accomplish that by not taking all the wire looms apart, so it would be nice to know where the wires are going.

Anyways, on the back of the dash panel, there is a plug in the back with the following wires - orange/red, red/white, blue/white, purple, teal/white, white/blue, red/white.

Anything to help me?

Old 11-16-2017, 03:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sometimes schematic diagrams may be hard to read. About all I can tell you is purple is related to reverse gear,red wire with a white tracer is always hot when the ignition is on. White/blue(or the blue/white) would seem to me to be neutral related. As far as the rest that I couldn't tell you. Tracing each of these wires through the diagram to their final destination is the best I can tell you. Plus this might just be a splice joint.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:20 AM
cfk
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Sometimes schematic diagrams may be hard to read. About all I can tell you is purple is related to reverse gear,red wire with a white tracer is always hot when the ignition is on. White/blue(or the blue/white) would seem to me to be neutral related. As far as the rest that I couldn't tell you. Tracing each of these wires through the diagram to their final destination is the best I can tell you. Plus this might just be a splice joint.
Thanks. I can't even find where that plug is on the schematic. My service manual shows a speedometer on the wiring - do I need a different manual?

Old 11-16-2017, 10:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes that would help to have the correct year model manual specific for your machine. Plus on some schematics some wiring may be shown that won't apply to your year model,but may apply to other machines that use the same wiring harness.They may have other options that your model doesn't have,like the speedo you mentioned.This happens a lot on manuals that lump several year models together. This one should just be for your year model only if you don't already have it.2005 Polaris Ranger 700 4X4 XP Service Manual PDF Download

Old 11-18-2017, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the rev, neut. , low and high lights work ?

Old 11-19-2017, 06:48 AM
cfk
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Yooper265
Do the rev, neut. , low and high lights work ?
Yep. As well as the temp light. Brake is the only one that doesn't.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by cfk
Yep. As well as the temp light. Brake is the only one that doesn't.
The indicator assembly has individual bulbs,but they aren't listed separately.Have to buy the whole indicator panel which sucks. Bulbs are similar to the old awd bulbs on the atvs that are hard to find and expensive.Possible if the brake light bulb is burnt out,you may be able to remove and see if you can find a replacement.Don't know if you can or not.

Attached Thumbnails Wiring Question-_58.jpg   Wiring Question-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:57 AM
cfk
Trailblazer

Thanks opt. I assume it's a wiring issue since I mentioned there isn't a wire going to the little switch on the brake pedal, but I haven't gotten a chance to dig into it yet.

If I get that all figured out and there's still a problem, I'll know it's probably the bulb.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Shows to have a park brake sensor on the parts break down,but the correct wiring diagram for your model may show whether it was used on not.I sure can't remember on machines from 12 years ago.Item#17.

Attached Thumbnails Wiring Question-9920211c06.gif  

Search this Thread