Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1996 polaris sportsman 500 clutching issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 05:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 1996 polaris sportsman 500 clutching issues

I have 1996 polaris sportsman 500 i am having issues with it grabbing the belt at idle it wont let me shift unless i shut it off.. Now i have checked the idle it is good i have rwplaced springs in the primary clutch shimmed the inside of the secondary also the backside to align the belt properly it is a new belt from polaris and is the right part number the linkages are all good the motor mounts are all good i am at a lose i dont know what im missing this quad is like new it only has 900kms on it and i have gone through everything.. If anyome has an idea please shoot it my way.. also it does not have the one way bearing in it, it is the non ebs model

Last edited by Wildchewie; 12-02-2017 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Forgot to add some info
Old 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You already checked what I would have suggested but OPT should be here in the morning and can give you some insight.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Shouldn't have to add additional shims to the inside of the driven clutch,especially with it only having a little over 500 miles on it. Shims at the back to help align the clutches and belt,yes I've had to do that often. Measure center to center the distance of the drive clutch bolt and driven clutch bolt. Should be 10 inches.If that's correct,motor mounts ok as you mentioned,I'd go back through the driven clutch,remove additional internal shims and check the ramp buttons,helix and spring are still ok. 2-2 position on spring,helix prewound 1/3rd turn.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much ill tear into it again this week and do as you mentioned and let you know what i find